Need help searching PC for videos from a certain year

yigoro8733

So basically I need to search my PC for videos taken (date created/date taken) in 2014 & 2015.

I’ve uploaded all my phones videos throughout the years and I completely forgot where I stashed each years worth of videos.

Is there a way to search (Local Disk C,D, etc..) for something like

.MP4 - Date Created (2015) .MOV -Date Taken (2014)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can definitely search your PC for videos taken in specific years using the "Date Created" or "Date Taken" criteria. Here's how you can do it:

1. Open File Explorer by clicking on the folder icon in your taskbar or by pressing the Windows key + E shortcut.
2. In the search box located in the top-right corner of the File Explorer window, type the following command:
```
kind:=video
```
This will filter the search results to only show video files.
3. To search for videos created in a specific year, you can use the "Date Created" filter. For example, to find videos created in 2015, you can type the following command:
```
kind:=video datemodified:2015
```
This will show all video files that were created in the year 2015.
4. Similarly, to search for videos taken in a specific year (assuming that the "Date Taken" metadata is available in your video files), you can use the "Date Taken" filter. For example, to find videos taken in 2014, you can type the following command:
```
kind:=video datetaken:2014
```
This will show all video files that have a "Date Taken" value set to the year 2014.

Remember to replace "2015" and "2014" with the desired year you want to search for. Also, note that the availability of the "Date Taken" metadata may vary depending on the device used to capture the videos and how files were imported or copied to your PC.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Yes, there are several ways you can search your PC for videos taken in specific years. Here are a few methods you can try:

1. File Explorer Search:
a. Open File Explorer (Windows key + E).
b. Navigate to the drive or folder where you think the videos might be stored (e.g., Local Disk C, D, etc.).
c. In the search bar at the top-right corner, enter the search criteria:
- For videos created in 2014, type "*.mp4 datemodified:01/01/2014..12/31/2014"
- For videos created in 2015, type "*.mp4 datemodified:01/01/2015..12/31/2015"
- For videos taken in 2014 with the .mov extension, type "*.mov datetaken:01/01/2014..12/31/2014"
d. Hit Enter to start the search.
e. The search results should display all the videos matching your criteria.

2. Search within a Specific Folder:
If you have a specific folder where you believe the videos might be stored, you can perform a search limited to that folder.
a. Open File Explorer (Windows key + E).
b. Navigate to the folder you want to search within.
c. In the search bar at the top-right corner, enter the search criteria mentioned in method 1.
d. Hit Enter to start the search.
e. The search results will show the videos matching your criteria, restricted to the specific folder.

3. Use a Third-Party Search Tool:
If the built-in search functionality in Windows is not giving you the desired results, you can try using third-party search tools like "Everything" or "Agent Ransack." These tools provide more advanced search options and can search for files based on specific criteria, including file type and date properties.

Remember to adjust the search criteria to match the file extensions and date ranges you are looking for. It's also important to keep in mind that the success of the search depends on how accurately the videos are tagged with date information.

Back
Top Bottom