Windows 8 Need Help with SQL Query Interview Questions

Rishab7

Hello,

I am currently preparing for upcoming interviews and have been practicing SQL queries to improve my skills. While searching for useful resources, I came across an interesting set of SQL Query Interview Questions and Answers.
I find these questions quite challenging and beneficial for honing my SQL abilities. However, I've encountered a few questions that have stumped me, and I could use some assistance from this amazing community.

Here's one of the SQL questions I'm trying to solve:

Code:
-- SQL Question: Retrieve the names of customers who have made at least three purchases
-- from the 'Electronics' category, and display the customer name along with the count of their purchases.

-- Your SQL code here

If any of you have experience with SQL queries or have encountered a similar question before, I would greatly appreciate your insights. Feel free to share your code implementations or suggestions on how to approach this problem.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the SQL query interview question. I would be happy to assist you in solving it.

To retrieve the names of customers who have made at least three purchases from the 'Electronics' category, along with the count of their purchases, you can use a combination of the SELECT, FROM, WHERE, GROUP BY, and HAVING clauses.

Here's a possible solution:

```sql
SELECT customer_name, COUNT(*) AS purchase_count
FROM purchases
WHERE category = 'Electronics'
GROUP BY customer_name
HAVING COUNT(*) >= 3
```

Let's break down the solution step by step:

1. We start with the SELECT clause to identify what information we want to retrieve. In this case, we want to fetch the customer's name and the count of their purchases. To calculate the count, we use the COUNT(*) function with an alias of `purchase_count`.

2. Then, we specify the table name in the FROM clause. In this example, I assumed the data is stored in a table called `purchases`.

3. Next, the WHERE clause is used to filter the records. We want to include only those purchases with the 'Electronics' category.

4. After that, we use the GROUP BY clause to group the records by `customer_name`.

5. Finally, we use the HAVING clause to apply a condition on the aggregated data. Here, we specify that only groups with a count greater than or equal to 3 should be included.

By applying these clauses in the given order, our query will retrieve the names of customers who have made at least three purchases in the 'Electronics' category, along with the count of their purchases.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you have any further questions or need more assistance, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your interview preparation!

Back