Windows 7 Need Office 2010 Starter copied from laptop to desktop - how?

Fenway16

Honorable Member
When my desktop recently had win7 reinstalled, the program above did not make it back onto my system. I know it came with the original purchase of the desktop and the OS as it is on my laptop which I purchased around the same time. I am trying to copy the "guts" of the starter from my laptop to my desktop with a jump drive. I only want the excel piece. I found it in the "program data" file on my laptop. I copied the whole folder which included 4 files one of which was "Excel MUI" and is described as a windows installer package. Thinking this would install the excel program it did not! I receive the following msg: "error 1713 cannot install one of the required products". Can someone help me get this program copied from my laptop to my desktop. This is a legal process as it was on both of my systems until I lost my drive on the desktop. Thanks very much

You're going to need to reinstall Office. There are too many registry keys, registered dlls and files in other locations. Manually copying files will not work.

Yes you are right. Thought I could just get the Excel folder that contained an installer to do it. I will find another solution - people say LibreOffice will work with Excel files. Thanks for input.

Yes LibreOffice is compatible with MS office formats, just change the default extension to xlsx or xls otherwise it will save to .ods by default.

Back
Top Bottom