Windows 7 Nero 9

zalm

Just wanted to share my experience with installing Nero on windows 7. My clean install of win7 has been severely corrupted by a store-bought version of Nero 9 which should have been safe. It isn't.

The only version of Nero that will work with Windows 7 is 9.4.26. The store-bought version I had was 9.0.2.x and was registered to work with Vista, but did not mention anything about Win7. It doesn't work. The loader mostly goes OK, but in seizes control of file associations, corrupts Kaspersky databases, and does not load in a timely fashion. Nero provides a "Clean Tool" to uninstall and clean up after it, but it's nearly useless - it does not restore the file associations, nor does it remove all the directories from Program Files or all registry entries. Not only that, I seem not to be the administrator any more! Yet you must completely remove Nero before installing the updated version 9.4.26 which is the ONLY one that will work with Win7. No earlier version (8, 7....) will work either.

You can only get this version as a download from the Nero site (link: Official Nero Forum) and it includes Backitup which is also a source of many problems. If you have a current licence for Nero 9, you will be able to install the updated version using your licence number.

The Nero forum has a few tips on this - it is likely to be a problem for many users as I know a lot of XP friends using Nero plan to upgrqade to Win 7.

Good luck, all!

Yep, and Nero still is a very good burner software, but they bloated software and ruined the installer.
If you can get it to start installing and then kill everything but Nero BurningROM then you will pretty much be ok.

I do like DeepBurner Free. As long as your burner is good, then this software doesn't present muh problems.

7's burning capabilities,, while better than XP and vista, I still have had problems with creating coasters.
I generally don't recommend them. But I don't really recommend Nero either anymore for reasons above.
They need to split it out of all the garbage and sell it as a stand alone product.

Drew, Nero is a lot more than burning software.

Since we're sharing our experiences and I think that that is one of the coolest things about this forum. I will have to side with Drew on this. I have actually burned 100s of CDs as part of a project I'm doing for a friend converting audio books on tapes that he owns over to CDs using nothing but Audacity 1.3 beta and the built in burner through Windows Media Player and the only coaster I've created was actually my fault not Winows 7 or Audacity. And all my TechNet DVDs have been downloaded from the site as ISOs and Windows 7 hasn't let me down once. The only problem I ever had with these is when I was using some third party burner and I couldn't set the burn speed low enough. But the DVD burner in Windows 7 hasn't given me any coasters yet. I'm sure, everybodys mileage will very.

Well, if we want to share, I have made many videos and converted many things to my iPod, shared many videos and other media over the network, made many labels, burned many DVDs, and converted all my old LPs to digital when no other programs would do it.

Maybe it depends on your point of view...

A new Error (era?)

hi bcarroll

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, no error messages. It looked like a clean install when I first installed it, but I only opened up the splash screen for Nero 9, then shut it down again. Then went on to install Backitup, and that was where the problems began occurring - the loader was missing one of two options on the custom install screen (only a little 'plus' menu indicator with no menu script beside it), several desktop blanks and rewrites where it erases the icons and then restores them slowly, and finally a stall at the end, showing the "Finish" button but with a hung PC. The uninstaller on the product did not work, the Windows uninstaller did not work, and at that point I came to the forum. Too late.

However, I've now stripped everything out by rolling back to an earlier desktop, gotten administrator privileges back, cleaned up the registry and uploaded 9.4.26 - it was a clean install and seems to work OK. I've now restored all my file associations and burned two audio CDs with it but nothing more. Works as advertised. I'll get into some of the other items later, but really, the other commenters are right - I think there's way more here than I'll ever use. I had Nero 6 on the XP box I came from early last year, and that worked fine for me and my needs. This one does look like bloatware and I really don't like having the file associations seized without my permission. What's the point of being the administrator?

If I'd taken the time to look at Win7 's burning options, I might not have gone this route, but I've never found Usoft products too clean or flexible by nature, so I assumed the worst; plus they were just about giving the Nero 9 away at the store, and in retrospect, perhaps this is why.....

Back
Top Bottom