Windows 7 .NET 2.0 Software?

Comicazy

I keep getting a meesage popping up on both mine and my wifes profiles. It tells me that I have to install soem .NET 2.0 program or something. It gives me a link to download it for free from the microsoft website. When I download and try to install it, the intall wizard says that the program is already installed. Anybody run into this one before? Thanks.

Comic

Some older programs require it,'

You can download it here:

Download details: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

As I said before, I did download it. And tried to install it. But the installation wizard tells me that it is already installed. And my computer is a 64-bit system so the x86 package doesn't work for me. And what older programs would need it? I haven't had this computer set up long enough to install any of my older programs on it. The only two things I have loaded on it since I set it up are Office 2007 MAE and the Lexmark program for my printer. Thanks.

Comic

What's the name of the program your trying to run, or does it just popup intermittently?

You need He x64 version ,but let's wait until I hear your answers.

It seems to pop up only when the computer starts up and we go onto our profiles for the first time. After that I don't think it comes up.

I actually found out that if I actually log off of my profile instead of just switching profiles, then log back on, that is when the message appears. Hope this helps figure it out.

Comic

Nobody knows anything about this? What is the program used for? Can it be uninstalled without effecting performance?

Comic

The program you want to run relys on these files.

Strange, yes.

What is the name of the program that pops up the error?

As I said before, it only comes up if I log off or shut down the computer and log on again. So I don't know what program is causing it. Here is exactly what it says.

Required System Software Not Installed

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue. This software is available for free download at
Link Removed due to 404 Error

OK

If I click ok or just close the message box, it simply goes away and doesn't come back until the next time I log off or shut the computer down and log on again. Can I uninstall it and reinstall it? Or will that send my computer into meltdown mode once it is uninstalled?

Comic

If you can't give me the name of the program you are trying to run, so I could test it on my computer, i can be of no further help to you.

Paint.net is one program that needs it, but there are several others. Have you looked in MSconfig - startup tab to see what programs you have there which are starting with the OS? Might give you a clue. Also, go into the Control Panel - Programs and features. Over on the left click "Turn Windows features on or off" , and see if you actually have net framework loaded. Perhaps the offending program can see it ispresent in the code, (which it is), but it is not installed/enabled?

Last edited:
RAK,

Windows 7 ships with 3.51. this is what's located in the Add/reove section.

Here's where it's located in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727

See if this fikle exists on your system:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_rc.dll

Last edited:
Thanks. I am well aware of that, but both of the subheadings in mine are not enabled, but I have had no probs installing Office.. But it is possible, in "customisation", that the user has turned it off. I always offer a worst case scenario -lol.
Fwiw. , RAK Under the registry item listed, I have the version mentioned ( With all the defaults on (1)- important) and, if it is significant, also have 3.3 and 3,5 listed as installed. In the folder, none of my doing, I have versions back to 1.0 shown in the sub folders. This is both 32Bit and 64Bit on a four day old install. They may have been automatically installed through a couple of other Microsoft progs I run. (Sharepoint designer and Windows Live) I seem to recall the latter installing it whilst I was watching??

Just found this on Technet. No guarantees.
1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
2. Start gpedit.msc
3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.
4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.

Last edited:
Back