Windows 7 Network Diagnostic Policy Not Running?

ChrisJCappa

Hello,

Just purchased a company PC fully refurbished for super cheap. It's running Windows 7 and no issues with setup.

I have just moved into a rental and had the internet connected on the NBN. My connection is fine and all my lights including the LAN which is connected to my PC are illuminated. Full internet service via wi fi.

I am getting a "Network Diagnostic Policy Not Running" error message when I try and connect a new Broadband Connection to my PC. My LAN icon on screen has red X and computer won't automatically detect.

1. Have tried restarting/resetting/rebooting everything.
2. Have run windows troubleshooting suggested (as administrator) but this didn't resolve anything
3. Have tried typing services.msc into Run function and attempted to "Start" the service. Error message recieved "Error 5: Access is Denied"
4. cmd - tried typing net localgroup administrators localservice /add AND net localgroup administrators networkservice /add. Error message "Access denied"
5. Have checked that my profile has full administrative control via advanced in %Temp% which it does.

Unfortunately I don't have the computer skills to go much further beyond this point. If someone could please assist to resolve this problem I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

Chris

You can check the following
  • Open services.msc (click the start button and type services.msc)
  • Locate the Diagnostic Policy Service and make sure it says running under the Status colunmn
    • If it's not running select it and click Start in the upper left of the screen
  • If it won't start
    • Click the Start button and type regedit
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters
    • Right click on Parameters > Permissions
    • Make sure TrustedInstaller is listed and has full permissions
      • If not listed click Add... Type NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller, give it full access

A couple of things to look at. If your computer didn't come with Win7 installed on it, it's possible that you didn't install it correctly, or maybe you installed incorrect or old network drivers. Can you please provide us with make/model of your computer? Is it a desktop PC or laptop?

The next thing is you have to make sure you have SP1 installed on Win7 as well, and now with the monthly security updates coming from Microsoft you have to have those as well. You can get those from here: Microsoft Update Catalog
There are many computers whose older hardware won't support the newer updated network drivers from the computer makers, so you need to make sure your Win7 has all those updates to function properly.

The other thing that's real simple to check if it's a problem within the used computer you bought is to take it over to a friend or neighbor's house and ask if you can plug your computer (CPU tower box) into their setup (monitor and Ethernet or Wi-Fi broadband connection). Perhaps bribe them with a 6-pack of beer or some fondue or something to do this. If your computer gets onto their Internet and either your NIC hardware or your Wi-Fi connects you Ok, the problem resides in your computer and you have to fix it. This at least tells you whether or not your Win7 is corrupted or you have possible faulty hardware inside the machine. :waah:

If your computer works on your friend or neighbor's broadband connection and you have established it's ok, then it's time to fix your computer. Refurbished computers are often sold, especially online these days, from sketchy folks on ebay or other websites. :headache: They will often sell cheap systems with old or even broken components such as RAM sticks, Hard Drive, or WLAN (Wi-Fi) Adapter. If you get to this point, you would be well served to be skeptical of exactly what you bought for not a lot of money-so you say.:(

In this vein, you may need to test your hardware and then once passed or if failures are found and faulty components have been found and replaced and the tests then pass, you can then apply software repairs and solutions to the machine. My Troubleshooting Guide, if followed step-by-step should produce a positive result about 90% of the time. Here it is: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

If you paid less than $100 US for a desktop PC or laptop on the Internet or anywhere else, you should be suspicious, especially if it was sold to you without a Windows operating system installed. If it came with DOS or Linux on it, still bad! If the computer was sold to you without Windows, then it's illegal, and you most likely got ripped off.:headache: So, if you put your own Win7 on it, where did you get that disc or USB stick from? Is it legit or a copy? If a copy, you need to buy or borrow a legit Win7 install media and reinstall your Win7, along with the SP1 and additional updates from Microsoft as explained above from the link I gave you to the new Microsoft Catalog. There are many things that my Customers do when trying to save money on buying a used computer over the Internet that cause them to have problems. These are just a few that can get you into trouble.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back