Windows 7 Network Discovery Issue -- Blue Screen!

feijiefu

Hi Everyone

I have been having a problem with my pc since I bought it a couple of months ago -- frequent blue screen crashes. It is a Win7 x64 system. I figured out that the crashes were usually caused when another computer was trying to access files over the network (I have a number of XP machines on a home network). Sure enough, when I set network discovery and file and printer sharing to "off" I have no blue screen crashes.

I guess I have two questions. The first is that every time I restart my computer, network discovery and file and printer sharing are automatically reset to "on", so I have to go into the advanced network settings and manually change them to "off" to avoid a crash. This is a hassle. Does anyone know how to set them to "off" permanently?

Now, since the above "solution" is sort of like putting an out-of-order sign on a clogged toilet, ideally I would like to get this machine actually functioning properly. That is, does anyone have any ideas how I can actually use file sharing without crashing my PC? I want to listen to my music when I'm in another room! Help! :(

Hi.

Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files there to any other folder. Zip the files. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

Also, please tell us which motherboard you have so I can link you to the correct updates. If you don't know, then use CPU-Z mainboard tab to see. CPU-Z is free and can be Googled easily.

Hi TorrentG

Thanks so much for responding.

I've attached the files you requested. My motherboard is ASUS P7P55 LX. Please let me know if I can provide any more information for you.

Thx! :)

Attachments

• MiniDump.zip
    744.5 KB · Views: 328
Your issue is very simple. Uninstall ZoneAlarm which has caused the crashes. I can say with 100% certaintly because of this:

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7F, {8, 80050031, 6f8, fffff800028afaaf}

Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!CompareSecurityContexts+6a )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

----------

It would also very good to update this driver:

Code:
ASACPI   ASACPI.sys   Sun Mar 27 22:30:36 2005

To do so, go to Asus' webpage for your motherboard. Download tab. Choose Windows 7 (or Vista if no 7) 64 bit. Then go to utilities section. Download and install the latest ATK0110 package.

------------

Enjoy.

Thanks for the analysis, TorrentG!

That seems strange, because I use ZoneAlarm on other computers and have never had this problem, including my laptop which is also Win7. Maybe it is because this OS is x64 (Laptop is x86)? Anyway, if that's what the code says I will certainly give it a try. I'll post later when I have some results.

Yep, I'm 100% sure of it. NETIO.sys is a Windows operating system file that ZoneAlarm has caused to fail.

If you'd like to try to keep ZA, then you can update to the latest available version they have. This has an excellent chance of fixing, close to being equal with uninstalling. Upgrade install is all that would be necessary.

They continuously fix bugs and bsod issues have high priority for them. (I use ZA Extreme and it has been perfect for me on many machines. I keep it updated always, however.)

--------

You can also update or uninstall your OpenVPN project software to update or remove this driver, for the sake of keeping a well updated machine:

Code:
tap0901  tap0901.sys  Wed Oct 08 01:15:10 2008

Last edited:
Yes, I've also used ZA Extreme for a few years without any problems whatsoever. I'm currently using 9.3.014.000, which according the website is the latest build.

I tried to update the motherboard driver but I'm not 100% sure it installed properly. Running the .exe file caused the system to restart, and when it booted up again it was unresponsive. After several minutes I forced shutdown and now it works fine. How can I check if the driver has been installed?

Thanks!

How can I check if the driver has been installed?

You're welcome.

Simple, actually. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Right click on ASACPI.sys and choose properties. Go to details tab. The date modified should now show 2009 or 2010. (Very likely to be 2009.)

Back