Windows 10 Network infrastructure devices

Niinimaa

Dear All,
I have two Windows 10 PC that on the same local area network. One of it is showing my AP name under "Network infrastructure devices" in device manager (as attached) but another without, even can't find the "Network infrastructure devices" in device manager. Is there any problem on the other one or how can I remove this from device manager?
Many Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,074
Take a picture with it expanded, also what are the make and models of the computers.

Take a picture with it expanded, also what are the make and models of the computers.
Hi Neemobeer, I need to back home and take the expanded picture. But it is only showing with my router (AP) name when expanded.
Both of my PC are the same model: Lenovo X260

Thanks!

Hi there,
That entry "Network Infrastructure Devices" is not a normal entry in the W10 device manager. It's not needed. Under the Network Adapters entry will be 1 or 2 entries; 1 of which will list the name, make, and number of the wireless LAN adapter that connects your laptop to the Internet.

It's possible you installed some software for an AP or Wi-Fi router you are using (or a Combo unit that is a ADSL/DSL Modem and Wi-Fi router or a Cable Modem/Wi-Fi router). What we also need to know is the Make/Model of the device your laptop connects to the Internet with. If that device is a Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin or other standalone Wi-Fi router, we need to know that info so that we can look it up and find out what software it's had you install on your laptops. Normally, that entry is not needed as I said, as most Combo units or standalone Wi-Fi routers don't have to install software onto your laptop; they usually run a configuration program from a Disc that comes with the unit from the manufacturer or direct you to a website such as the Netgear HTTP://mywifilogin.com or similar.

Get us the additional screenshot that neem asked for, and the Combo unit or standalone Wi-Fi router I asked you for as well and we will advise you further. If you have a standalone router, please also include the Make/Model of your ADSL/DSL Modem or Cable Modem as well.

Thanks,:)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Hi there,
That entry "Network Infrastructure Devices" is not a normal entry in the W10 device manager. It's not needed. Under the Network Adapters entry will be 1 or 2 entries; 1 of which will list the name, make, and number of the wireless LAN adapter that connects your laptop to the Internet.

It's possible you installed some software for an AP or Wi-Fi router you are using (or a Combo unit that is a ADSL/DSL Modem and Wi-Fi router or a Cable Modem/Wi-Fi router). What we also need to know is the Make/Model of the device your laptop connects to the Internet with. If that device is a Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin or other standalone Wi-Fi router, we need to know that info so that we can look it up and find out what software it's had you install on your laptops. Normally, that entry is not needed as I said, as most Combo units or standalone Wi-Fi routers don't have to install software onto your laptop; they usually run a configuration program from a Disc that comes with the unit from the manufacturer or direct you to a website such as the Netgear HTTP://mywifilogin.com or similar.

Get us the additional screenshot that neem asked for, and the Combo unit or standalone Wi-Fi router I asked you for as well and we will advise you further. If you have a standalone router, please also include the Make/Model of your ADSL/DSL Modem or Cable Modem as well.

Thanks,:)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>
Hi Bigbearjedi,
Will back home and take more screen shots. Here are some additional information, my PC is connected to a Linksys EA6350 router by wifi. I am pretty sure I didn't install any software from Linksys as I only treat it as a broadband router. The only thing I have made is I changed my PC's network location from public to private, and I found there are a Synology 216j & Linksys router icon appeared under Network device on "This PC" page after rebooted. I am not sure was it related.

Thanks!

Hi niini,
Thanks for getting back to us. Changing your network location from public to private shouldn't cause that to happen. Unless your AV program did something hinky-still it's not normal. I have 8-W10 machines and 6 of them are on Wi-Fi connection to my AC router. None of them have this item.

When you change your network location from public to private, that enables "network discovery and file sharing", which then shows all other computers, printers, scanners, and other network devices on your network or your LAN, which is generated by your Linksys Wi-Fi router. It appears that this item "Network infrastructure devices" in your device manager may have been added by the Synology 216j device which is a NAS-or external network storage device. According to this link, there is software called QuickConnectID which allows remote access to the NAS device including VPN; which often has it's own entry in device manager--no surprise, it's a specialty device.

Here's the link: Synology DiskStation DS216j
And here's the excerpt of the software that you may have installed, possibly inadvertently, when you installed the Synology NAS onto your network:
Remote access is excellent thanks to the built-in QuickConnect service. During the initial setup, you can register your NAS with Synology. The NAS's control panel will then show a QuickConnect ID, which you can enter into a mobile app or use with the QuickConnect.to website for access over the Internet. You'll then interact with the NAS's control panel and any add-on packages using a simple GUI that looks like a desktop OS. Essentially, this replaces the need to set up a VPN on your home router, since Synology handles the secure connection between the remote PC in your workplace and the DS216j.

In summary then, you probably don't want to remove the Synology software, otherwise various access including remote and VPN access will not properly work on your 2 laptops.:ohno:

Cheers!:victorious:
<<<BBJ>>>

Well from my understanding, some infrastructure devices (routers and switches) will get discovered under "Devices and Printers" that is most likely why you see it in Device Manager. I'm not entirely sure which "feature" in Windows is responsible though. If you can get a list of your services and firewall configuration on each machine we can probably figure out what is discovering the router.

• Open Powershell (start button, type powershell)
  • Get-Service | Sort Status -Decending >> $env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\Log.txt
  • Get-NetFirewallSetting >> $env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\Log.txt
Upload the log for each

Back