Windows 7 Network Storage Link & Mapping Network Drive

Tony Noel

Hello,

I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate for quiet sometime now however about the last week i haven't been able to access my Network Storage Link that connects trough my router. I've been able to for months on Vista and for some time on Windows 7 but now i cant.
mad.png

After much aggravation, i did a clean install of Win 7 and was able to map my network storage link however after about 4 hours in stopped establishing a connection and now i cant see it at all when i try to map a network drive!

I have so much sh*t on there that is necessary for my business but i cant access it! However i can access it through my browser via its IP address, but i cant through windows which is necessary to access and use the stuff on it!

PLEASE HELP ME!

Which device is it? Is it the Linksys/Cisco? What is the model and version number? Is there a firmware update for the device? Have you tried mapping using the IP address? Have you tried the NTLMv2 fix? and or the Encryption level fix?

Which device is it? Is it the Linksys/Cisco? What is the model and version number? Is there a firmware update for the device? Have you tried mapping using the IP address? Have you tried the NTLMv2 fix? and or the Encryption level fix?

Its a Linksys, NSLU2 Network Storage Lisnk. I am not sure if there is a firmware update, how would i check? and install it? it did not come with a cd or anything when i got it so i had to do it myself - format a 250 GB external hard-drive and map it. and it worked great for months.

when i try to map it via IP address i get an error and click diagnose and it cant find any problems.

my other computers running XP pro and Vista find and map it no problem...

I added some pictures to show you what i get when i try various things.

Attachments

• 111111111111.jpg
    111111111111.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 746
  • 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 684
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 664
Well according to this Linksys by Cisco - NSLU2 Support there hasn't been a firmware update since 2005, so I doubt if that will be much help. So try this type secpol.msc in the start or run dialog box and navigate according to screen shot, change selections to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated and the other two to No minimum, reboot and see if that helps.

Well according to this Linksys by Cisco - NSLU2 Support there hasn't been a firmware update since 2005, so I doubt if that will be much help. So try this type secpol.msc in the start or run dialog box and navigate according to screen shot, change selections to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated and the other two to No minimum, reboot and see if that helps.

No it did not help.
One thing i have noticed is i can access it through it through my browser. so could it be a firewall issue?z

I wouldn't think so, but it's possible. Go ahead, if you haven't already, disable the Windows7 built in firewall and temporarily uninstall any third party applications, like Internet Security Suites, that may have firewall type function, you can always reinstall them later. You said, that it worked for a while after the clean reinstall of Windows 7 and then just ceased to work. Which would lead me to believe that something was installed and or updated which caused this to happen. If you boot into safemode with networking, can you access the drive as before or does the problem persist, even in safemode with networking?

I wouldn't think so, but it's possible. Go ahead, if you haven't already, disable the Windows7 built in firewall and temporarily uninstall any third party applications, like Internet Security Suites, that may have firewall type function, you can always reinstall them later. You said, that it worked for a while after the clean reinstall of Windows 7 and then just ceased to work. Which would lead me to believe that something was installed and or updated which caused this to happen. If you boot into safemode with networking, can you access the drive as before or does the problem persist, even in safemode with networking?

After talking to some people at Kaspersky it seems like its not a firewall...

i booted in safemode with networking and when i go to search for it on "map network drive" nothing shows. Probably for specific reason (booting in safe mode) and when i look in network nothing shows so can't do that in safemode.

it seems as if its not allowing a connection into a specific port possibly?

if you look in the picture i attached it shows my network map. look how it shows "online-storage" as unidentified and CANT be placed in the map..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 720
determine the ip address of the device by using one of your other machines that are able to connect without issue. Boot the Win7 machine into safemode with networking (provided that your network drivers load....wired or wireless, which may be an issue) see if you can ping the device by ip address and then attempt to ping the device by netbios name, if you are successful, attempt to look at the device by typing \\192.168.nnn.nnn into the run dialog box (hold down the windows logo key and strike the "r" key and see if you get an error regarding access rights or name not found etc. Safemode with networking should be able to load nominal drivers to support at least a wired connection, test by opening a browser.

determine the ip address of the device by using one of your other machines that are able to connect without issue. Boot the Win7 machine into safemode with networking (provided that your network drivers load....wired or wireless, which may be an issue) see if you can ping the device by ip address and then attempt to ping the device by netbios name, if you are successful, attempt to look at the device by typing \\192.168.nnn.nnn into the run dialog box (hold down the windows logo key and strike the \\"r\\" key and see if you get an error regarding access rights or name not found etc. Safemode with networking should be able to load nominal drivers to support at least a wired connection, test by opening a browser.

You are a genius!

after doing this i open a run box, typed in the IP address and was able to access the External Hard-Drive that is on the NSLU2. Now one problem still persists... Yes i can access it through the IP address but i still cant map it and access it easily like a my local hard-drive.

the attached picture is what i get when i open it through a run box and click on the hard-drive folder.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 771
OK, if you say so. Are you sure you still have an issue with mapping. How about if, on the windows 7 machine you open "Computer" on the menu bar select tools, map network drive. Select a drive letter that is not in use already, like I for itunes or M for movies and then in the folder location box you type \\192.168.nnn.nnn\itunes or \\192.168.nnn.nnn\movies what happens?

Back