Windows 7 Network visibility dessappeared

fenshome

My Win 7 PC was able to see the XP PC file structure, but has now become invisible. However, the XP PX is able to see the Win 7 file structure. I also note the little pointer next to the network entry is no longer showing in the Win 7 file system.

Discovery is on in Win 7 and files are shared in XP PC. I've even rolled backed to earlier system backups where I know it was working and this doesn't fix it either.

Can anyone help?

Kim

fenshome:
Hello and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.
A couple things to try;
If I understand correctly your problem is that you can no longer see the XP machine from within the Win7 machine's network utility in Windows Explorer. This information is dependent upon the Win7 machine having up to date and accurate netbios information regarding the hostname and IP address of the XP machine.
1. On the Windows 7 machine open a command prompt with elevated privledges.
Start Orb, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt and choose run as administrator.
type nbtstat -R (case sensitive capital R) this will purge and reload the netbios cache table on the Win 7 machine, then type
ping ComputerNameOfXpMachine this has to resolve successfully in order for the netbios information to propagate properly
then type
nbtstat -c this will display the names that are present in the machines netbios cache table, you should see the XP machines name and IP address
Check and see if the XP machine is now visible to the Win7 machine.
2. Check and make sure that both machines have netbios over TCP/IP enabled in the properties of IPv4, advanced button, WINS tab, for all adapters in use.
3. Make sure that both machines have the Server service and Workstation service started and set to automatic.
4. On the Win7 machine check and make sure that the SSDP service is started.
5. Make sure on the XP machine that you haven't added or adjusted the settings for any third party firewall or internet security suite, that might be inhibiting the propagation of netbios information. Usually this is where I recommend uninstalling any such software until you've been able to exclude such software as the potential cause of the issue. Attempts to disable or turn off this software is not often a solution. You can always reinstall it later after the problem is resolved.

Last edited:
On the win7 machine are you using "Home Network" or "Work Network"?

When you have mixed operating systems on the same network node, Win7 will only work in "Work Network" mode which is the older XP style sharing... You will also have to enable "Usernames and Password" sharing if you want more than read only access.

fenshome:
Hello and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.
A couple things to try;
If I understand correctly your problem is that you can no longer see the XP machine from within the Win7 machine's network utility in Windows Explorer. This information is dependent upon the Win7 machine having up to date and accurate netbios information regarding the hostname and IP address of the XP machine.
1. On the Windows 7 machine open a command prompt with elevated privledges.
Start Orb, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt and choose run as administrator.
type nbtstat -R (case sensitive capital R) this will purge and reload the netbios cache table on the Win 7 machine, then type
ping ComputerNameOfXpMachine this has to resolve successfully in order for the netbios information to propagate properly
then type
nbtstat -c this will display the names that are present in the machines netbios cache table, you should see the XP machines name and IP address
Check and see if the XP machine is now visible to the Win7 machine.
2. Check and make sure that both machines have netbios over TCP/IP enabled in the properties of IPv4, advanced button, WINS tab, for all adapters in use.
3. Make sure that both machines have the Server service and Workstation service started and set to automatic.
4. On the Win7 machine check and make sure that the SSDP service is started.
5. Make sure on the XP machine that you haven't added or adjusted the settings for any third party firewall or internet security suite, that might be inhibiting the propagation of netbios information. Usually this is where I recommend uninstalling any such software until you've been able to exclude such software as the potential cause of the issue. Attempts to disable or turn off this software is not often a solution. You can always reinstall it later after the problem is resolved.

OK

Have provided screen dump, but looks like there is no NETBIOS in Win7 and XP. When I looked to install, it's not provided for install in both PCs. Where to next. Bit strange as I know it was definitely there in the XP originally as a separate protocol. Is it that if you have IPv4 it's assumed that it is incorporated/bundled together in MS updates, but not stated?

Attachments

• Network services.doc
    320 KB · Views: 482
Hi again

Found the problem. I was unaware that a firewall update had occurred and this was what caused the problem.

many thanks anyway.

Kim

I'm glad you got sorted and everything is working again...

Now you know my #1 grumble about automatic updates. Fully half of the calls I get from clients are because "There was this update last night and now ______________ isn't working".

Back