37Stars

I run a small business and have a mix of Vista and XP computers. I plan to move every computer to XP or hopefully Windows 7. I have nothing good to say about Vista, other than it's pretty. And even fewer nice things to say about the Networking portions of Vista.

So what's your networking experience with Windows 7? Has Microsoft fixed the networking issues? Is it a pain in the backside like Vista?

We have a central file server with the PCs attached. I'm considering installing Windows Server 2003 on the file server and having it also be the domain controller.

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts and experiences.

Solution
Moving from a mix of Vista and XP computers to Windows 7 is a good decision, as Windows 7 introduced significant improvements, especially in terms of networking, compared to Vista. Here is an overview of networking improvements in Windows 7 compared to Vista:

Networking Experience in Windows 7:​

1. Improved Networking Performance: Windows 7 has better networking performance compared to Vista. It includes optimizations that enhance file sharing, printer sharing, and general network performance.
  2. HomeGroup Feature: Windows 7 introduced HomeGroup, which simplifies the process of sharing files and printers on a home network. It is a user-friendly feature that makes network sharing easier.
  3. Simplified Network...
Moving from a mix of Vista and XP computers to Windows 7 is a good decision, as Windows 7 introduced significant improvements, especially in terms of networking, compared to Vista. Here is an overview of networking improvements in Windows 7 compared to Vista:

Networking Experience in Windows 7:​

1. Improved Networking Performance: Windows 7 has better networking performance compared to Vista. It includes optimizations that enhance file sharing, printer sharing, and general network performance.
  2. HomeGroup Feature: Windows 7 introduced HomeGroup, which simplifies the process of sharing files and printers on a home network. It is a user-friendly feature that makes network sharing easier.
  3. Simplified Network Setup: The network setup process is more straightforward in Windows 7, making it easier to connect to different types of networks, including home, work, or public networks.
  4. Enhanced Security: Windows 7 includes improved network security features, such as Network Location Awareness, which helps in identifying different types of networks and applying appropriate security settings.

Windows Server 2003 as File Server and Domain Controller:​

Using Windows Server 2003 as a file server and domain controller is a viable option for your small business setup. However, it's important to note that Windows Server 2003 has reached its end of support. This means you won't receive security updates and patches from Microsoft. It's recommended to consider a newer version of Windows Server for better security and support.

Recommendations:​

5. Upgrade to Windows 7: Moving to Windows 7 from Vista and XP is a good choice as it offers improved performance, stability, and networking capabilities.
  6. Consider Windows Server Upgrade: If possible, consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows Server like Windows Server 2012 or later for better security and support.
  7. Plan Your Migration: Ensure you have a migration plan in place to smoothly transition your computers to Windows 7 and upgrade your file server and domain controller setup. In summary, Windows 7 offers significant improvements over Vista in terms of networking and overall performance. Upgrading to Windows 7 and considering a newer version of Windows Server for your file server and domain controller can enhance the efficiency and security of your business network.

Solution