Windows 7 Active Networking - win7 always redefines a corrupted one

maoklein

Hi,
I have been experiencing some networking troubles since 4 or 5 months ago and I still couldn’t find any solutions because: I’m not able to reproduce it; I can’t identify its cause; I haven’t been able to determine the key words to filter my searching for solutions.

So, I’ll try to describe it to the best of my abilities – I would put myself in the basic user category:

• Windows 7 Professional
  • Set to a Public Location, wired network, cable modem DPC 2100 Scientific Atlanta. (no other devices neither wi-fi, one single desktop computer: MoBo Asus f1A75M-PRO; cpu AMD A8 3850 / 8gb; Network Adapter Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller, driver ver. 7.58.411.2012 [up-to-date])
  • Frequently, but not always (~ 3 out of 5 boots), I get “No Internet Access” on my “Local Connection”
  • Upon clicking the yellow warning icon (!) between “Active Network Location” and “Internet” to initialize the diagnostics and troubleshooting wizard I get 3 results: No Problem has been found; Redefine your adapter (auto fix); Invalid IP address (auto-fix) – but the auto-fixes never ever work
  • Work around: sometimes when I notice the dreaded yellow icon I just leave it sitting there and when I come back (a couple minutes later) it resolves itself and reconnect to my “good” “Active Network”; other times I need to use several instances of the command line ipconfig /release and wait for the auto reconnect: why several? Because it usually reconnects the newly made and faulty “Active network” …until it doesn’t:
- If I delete the new and corrupted active network it doesn’t invoke auto-connect
- If I enter ipconfig /renew, it redefines yet another new faulty active network…
- I end up getting a connection a “luck basis”​

• Work around 2: deleting every “active Network” on that list and rebooting doesn’t work ( I noticed that the few times I tried it, the first one it created -- “Network 1” -- was always corrupted and repeating one or all of the steps I described until it decided to create a working second one – “network2”. On the same page, turning my cable modem on and off had no noticeable effect (it worked on the same “luck basis” as ipconfig /release), and resetting it also didn’t show any improvement (I have also tried some strange resetting method in which you disconnect all the cables from the modem and replug them in a particular order... to no effect)

I’m assuming that my problem is that Win7 always creates a new “Active Network” that is faulty or somehow corrupted, but the real problem is that even when the stars align in a particular way and it creates a second and working active network, after a few reboots, or even after the next one, it decides to stop using it (network #2) and redefines a newly made and corrupted one (or when I forget to delete the messy one it reverts back to it) – until I repeat the steps above and get a connection to network #2 again.

I have tried lots of networking related solutions to problems that aren’t exactly my own, some of which I could remember and revert back and others that are still in effect – cause I have no idea what I did or can’t remember. E.g., enabling/disabling ipv6, some registry edits, nesth commands. There were some solutions that gave me a false hope, leading me to believe that the problem was gone, just to come back again after a couple of days.

In a nutshell:

• I’ve got one working “active networking” location;
  • Win7 decides it doesn’t like it any more, and redefines a new and corrupted one (leaving me with #1 and #2);
  • I couldn’t establish a fail-safe fool-proof efficient workaround;
  • I certainly couldn’t find any solution yet;
From the above I’d like to ask two questions:
Workaround related: is there a way (command line) in which I can force a connection to my known and good “active network” bypassing the auto-fix and diagnostics wizard? Probably after entering ipconfig /release. Or, even, a cmd to redefine new ones (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) till it gets them right?
Solution related: anyone can identify the most probable cause from my description?
I’m not sure if it will be of any use, but the ipconfig /all SS I’ll paste is for this working state (I don’t have one for the non-working) {it's portuguese version}
ipconfig.jpg

Event viewer (networking diagnostics):
Produto Microsoft: Windows Operating System;
Versão:
6.1.7600.16385;
ID:
6100;
Origem do Evento:
Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Networking

I don’t believe it may be a software related conflict simply because I haven’t installed anything new for a long time, neither games nor productivity or utilities software. Even counting from that extended time span I gave above (4 months). Also I don’t think it might be ISP or modem related because I can always get a connection after all. (EDIT: and when the connection is established I don't have any other issues, speed wise or random intermitent disconnects... everything works perfectly well)

There's a chance I didn't make myself clear since I'm not very sure of how to describe the problem accurately, if so, I'll do my best to reformulate.

Thx in advance,
Marco.

Last edited:
Two things come to mind....one your home network should be set to home (more secure) not public....with public your pron to get unwanted visitors that can do some nasty stuff if they have a mind to. Two, try updating your LAN driver and chipset driver.

Disable IPv6 in the properties of the network adapter you are using to connect to the network.
Not sure why you are using "Public" to define your network, I would definitely consider changing it to work or at least home.
You are receiving a publicly addressable IP address schema from your Internet Service Provider. Not sure what environment you are working in but personally I would feel more comfortable behind a Router doing a NAT firewall and handing out private reserved class C addresses. But that's just me.

Hey bassfisher and trouble,
Thx for your interest.

Regarding the network scheme I had it set to public because I remember reading somewhere it was safer – just something that I kept on the back burner and never gave a second thought about. I’ll follow your advice and change it to Home.

About the adapter’s driver version (7.58.411.2012), I went to double check and did indeed notice one new release (from august 2012), 7.061 – I’ll install it right after I finish this reply (but my hopes aren’t too high). The other ones, I’m sure are all up-to-date (Catalyst 12.8 and chipset too, both installed earlier this week [aug 15[SUP]th[/SUP] release]).

Also, changing ipv6 affected nothing in my case -- I had it disabled (registry value ffffffff) for the last few months, I only changed it back to enabled (value 0) today before I made this post (actually, before I could get a connection). The last chance I took on trying to fix this was something I found yesterday on this forum, to change “speed and duplex” settings to “100 Mbps half duplex” from “auto negotiation” [Local Connection -> Properties -> Config -> Advanced]. May I say, to no avail as well. I didn’t mess with every value yet, since I’m really enjoying this connected state I’m currently in, but that’s on my to-do list for tomorrow.

But from what I could gather from your replies I’m starting to think that this issue has no readily identifiable cause… so I’ll just reemphasize my previous question about a possible work-around (ctrl-v from above): is there a way (command line) in which I can force a connection to my known and good “active network” bypassing the auto-fix and diagnostics wizard? Probably after entering ipconfig /release. Or, even, a cmd to redefine new ones (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) till it gets them right?

Thx again,
And let me know if there’s any other info that could help identify this problem.
Marco.

hi,
bumping -- the problem persists.
Only difference is that now the default new active network is 'work network'; it still doesn't connect untill it decides to change to a home network that has been working flawlessly. And I devised a less painfull method for connecting, still bothers me it but has been a little faster to connect [run diagnostics - ipconfig /release - turn modem off/on - pray; repeat untill it connects].

Btw, i didn't mention it before, but seeing that it has been known to cause some networking related issues, I think it is worth mentioning that, in my case, logging off or suspending (hibernating) does not mess up my connected state. It always comes back without a hitch, only after boot ups and reboots that I have experienced this issues.

Last edited:
Nice to see at least something that is consistent and reliable.
OK, if this problem happens every time you reboot or cold start in the morning, then shut down your computer and after a bit restart, but restart in Safe Mode with Networking, not in normal mode. Check this over a period of reboots and determine if the problem is present or absent in Safe Mode with Networking. Let us know if that makes any difference with the problem at all.
If it does then it's likely a software product (process, service, driver, etc.,) that is causing the issue.
If not then it's likely something physical. Call your ISP and ask them to replace your device. Replace the Cat5 cable. Replace at least for testing purposes your NIC, maybe try substituting a USB dongle borrowed from a friend, relative, neighbor or purchased from a local retailer with a liberal return policy.

thx again trouble.
I've been suspicious about cabling before, but I shook it off because if it were cable related I would most likely experience some trouble even after getting a connection, not only to get one.
Btw, I'm just out of a 3 day stream of hassle free connect. Wasn't too painful to get it today either =p

As a side note, all the cabling from the street to my home office is new (jan/2012) along with all the connectors and splitters. I had a home renovation and we redid everything.

Anyway I'll make sure to try your ideas,
and thx again.

Back