Windows 7 Networking Vista and W7

jhirvela

Hello! I work in a small office of about 5 people. We have 2 computers running Windows 7 and 3 computers running Windows Vista. The problem I am having is that the windows 7 computers are able to see and use the printers and files on the vista machines, however the Vista machines are NOT able to see or use the files on the windows 7 machines.

All sharing is on for all 5 computers and the windows 7 computers are showing up in the network list of computers but can not be accessed for printing or to see the files.

Please help..this has been an on going problem for a while and it would be nice to solve so that everyone can print on each other's printers as needed and to share our files again.

Thank you!

Check the windows 7 computers for any third party firewall applications and or third party antivirus / internet security suites that may contain a firewall applet. Temporarily uninstall any such programs from the windows 7 machines and see if the problem persists. Stopping or disabling them is not sufficient, uninstall them and add them back if you so choose after your networking issues have been resolved.

Did you make sure that the Windows machines are set to use user accounts and passwords instead of Home Group? Did you make sure the windows 7 machines have the proper network name? If you are using a third party firewall you may have to make changes there. Also I think the Windows 7 machines will need to be set for work network not public network.
Joe

Thanks, but...

Thanks for the Reply Randy. We are currently running McKafee Security Center Software. I have no third party antivirus or security suites software installed on any of the computers. We all have CCleaner, but that is the only other software and it does not run unless you open it. Any other ideas? Thanks for the quick response!

Jeff

Check the windows 7 computers for any third party firewall applications and or third party antivirus / internet security suites that may contain a firewall applet. Temporarily uninstall any such programs from the windows 7 machines and see if the problem persists. Stopping or disabling them is not sufficient, uninstall them and add them back if you so choose after your networking issues have been resolved.

Before everyone jumps in about what a pain McAfee can be in a network environment, I would only reiterate my suggestion of uninstalling it temporarily from the Win7 machine and see if your problems persist or go away. You can always put it back on later if you like. Also read over Joe S post, I'm assuming that you have done most of that but it never hurts to recheck things.

All the W7 machines are set to a work network. The Home Group thing is confusing to me though. How would I go about checking whether or not it is set to user accounts and passwords or to the Home Group?

Thanks!
Jeff

Did you make sure that the Windows machines are set to use user accounts and passwords instead of Home Group? Did you make sure the windows 7 machines have the proper network name? If you are using a third party firewall you may have to make changes there. Also I think the Windows 7 machines will need to be set for work network not public network.
Joe

Jeff:
I think what Joe S was actually saying was that Windows 7 homegroup feature is not an approach that is available to you with you current environment. Home Groups are intended to facilitate sharing and such between Windows 7 computers only and since you have some vista downlevel clients it won't be available for you so if any of your Win 7 machines are in a homegroup you want to choose the leave homegroup option.

Just found the spot to set it to password and username, actually was already set to that, so I guess that is not the problem. Still not able to access the W7 computers from Vista computers.

Yep I have it set to Password and Username, is this how you leave the homegroup or is there another thing I am missing? If this is all i need to do, then it has not worked.

Jeff

Jeff:
I think what Joe S was actually saying was that Windows 7 homegroup feature is not an approach that is available to you with you current environment. Home Groups are intended to facilitate sharing and such between Windows 7 computers only and since you have some vista downlevel clients it won't be available for you so if any of your Win 7 machines are in a homegroup you want to choose the leave homegroup option.

Hello! I work in a small office of about 5 people. We have 2 computers running Windows 7 and 3 computers running Windows Vista. The problem I am having is that the windows 7 computers are able to see and use the printers and files on the vista machines, however the Vista machines are NOT able to see or use the files on the windows 7 machines.

All sharing is on for all 5 computers and the windows 7 computers are showing up in the network list of computers but can not be accessed for printing or to see the files.

Please help..this has been an on going problem for a while and it would be nice to solve so that everyone can print on each other's printers as needed and to share our files again.

Thank you!

I use Windows Live Mesh Beta.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I have had no problems with file sharing between OS's with it. It's in the beta stage, but it works for me.

Back