Windows 7 Networking Win7 PC with my Win XP PC -- thru a Switch

pRey

I seems to have a problem getting my 2 computer to recognize each other.

My first PC is running Windows XP
My second .. running Windows 7 (64 bit)

They are linked through a switch.. both PCs have 2 networking cards. Each PC has its own internet connection. (separate DSL modems..not that, I think, this maters) The only thing connected to the switch are the 2 PC's..

At first, I ran networking wizard. My Win XP would recognize itself and the Win 7 PC. The Win 7 PC would recognize itself and 'sometimes' the Win XP PC.

Now.. both only recognize themselves.
Sometimes, radomally, the Win XP PC will not even show itself on the network.

So Im not sure what the problem is.. looks like it may be a multiple issue problem.

First.. why is my Win XP PC seem to disappear from the network at random times??

And why cant I see each PC on the other.

Before I installed Win 7...(while I was running Win XP 64).. the First PC did ths same with the sometimes disappearing act from the network. But I could always see the 2nd computer from the 1st. But not always the 1st comeputer from the 2nd. I hope that makes sense. ;)

Make sure you're not using Home Group on the Windows 7 pc. The Windows fire wall gave me fits it seemed to keep getting turned back on. What kind of fire wall, antivirus etc are you using? I found with Avast occasionally you need to turn off the network shield and after they connect turn it back on then it remembers.
Joe

I seems to have a problem getting my 2 computer to recognize each other.

My first PC is running Windows XP
My second .. running Windows 7 (64 bit
They are linked through a switch.. both PCs have 2 networking cards. Each PC has its own internet connection. (separate DSL modems..not that, I think, this maters) The only thing connected to the switch are the 2 PC's..
At first, I ran networking wizard. My Win XP would recognize itself and the Win 7 PC. The Win 7 PC would recognize itself and 'sometimes' the Win XP PC.
Now.. both only recognize themselves.
Sometimes, radomally, the Win XP PC will not even show itself on the network.
So Im not sure what the problem is.. looks like it may be a multiple issue problem.
First.. why is my Win XP PC seem to disappear from the network at random times??
And why cant I see each PC on the other.
Before I installed Win 7...(while I was running Win XP 64).. the First PC did ths same with the sometimes disappearing act from the network. But I could always see the 2nd computer from the 1st. But not always the 1st comeputer from the 2nd. I hope that makes sense. ;)
heey prey, sorry nobody got back to you. first off, are you sure that what you got is a switch and not a router?...that info would be helpful. And that will matter because if you've got 2 separate dsl lines through a switch you'd have to create a LAN. If you've got a router, you've already got a LAN. There have been issues that you describe with people on a LAN (Local Area Network), but we first need to know these things...what type of router or switch....what type of PCs you're trying to connect or, what are the components of these pcs.

Back
Top Bottom