New Features and Changes

What do you think of the website's overall performance in terms of speed and connectivity?

• Worse and Slow!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Major Patch Applied

A major patch has been applied to the forum software which fixes over 318 confirmed issues and introduces direct Facebook integration into the website. This differs from our previous integration method. The new Facebook integration is directly coded into the software. While some stylistic changes will no doubt need to be made in the coming weeks and months, the current software upgrade promises to improve your experience using Windows 7 Forums.

Cheers Mike!
I tried to view a post and received a message along the lines of "we're doing an update, come back later"
had me scared for a minute :D

Although still technically the forum administrators are predominantly on vacation, with the exception of kemical, all features that had previously been disabled for performance reasons have been reintroduced. Several new features have been introduced, including an auto-tagger based on thread title, as well as an update to the forum search functionality.

Compatibility and Performance Improvements

In order to ensure maximum compatibility in all browsers, and both high speed and reliability, the formatting of the website has been scaled back and changed. These changed result in a marked improvement in the amount of information being retrieved from the database at a given time, and should improve the visitor experience overall. Please feel free to comment on these changes.

Nice

In order to ensure maximum compatibility in all browsers, and both high speed and reliability, the formatting of the website has been scaled back and changed. These changed result in a marked improvement in the amount of information being retrieved from the database at a given time, and should improve the visitor experience overall. Please feel free to comment on these changes.

Like the lighter color on the pages and darker print. Much easier on old eyes that require good color contrast. Font is readable for older eyes, too. :)

Agreed John, this makes reading a whole lot easier due to the darker type..

It's here.. new Media Section now available

It has been implied from the Water Cooler and other areas that members would like to see a centralized Media area for videos. This is now available to all members to submit video content. The Terms of Service rules still apply to this area. We encourage you to check out the new Windows 7 Forums Multimedia page and contribute your videos. Please post any category suggestions you may have!

Quick Reboot

A quick reboot of the database and web server took place to optimize some settings and up the memory utilization. This has reset the user count, the sessions of which now last 24 hours. Thank you - Mike

Some changes have been made introduced today:

• The ability to add a favored thread has been added using the new "Like" feature from Facebook.
  • Facebook integration has been re-introduced into the website. For those existing members who wish to use this technology, log into your account first and then link your account to Facebook.
  • We have started to alert members of the existence of the forum toolbar as a dismissible notification for members.
  • The media center has been updated to the latest version, and can now support different types of media instead of just YouTube videos. Please submit any videos that you like!
  • The Helpful Posts system has been disabled in favor of the "Like" button using Facebook.
  • Members are now again notified about repair software by Uniblue Systems, Ltd. as a dismissible notification.
  • The Welcome Message to guest visitors has been restored, albeit shortened.
Please note: We are now actively looking at ways to reduce the number of advertisements on the website without plunging the website into total bankruptcy. As a result, the following changes have been made:

Registered members will not see as many advertisements.

"The Helpful Posts system has been disabled in favor of the "Like" button using Facebook"

Sorry. Just a query on this. I have no intention of joining, or linking to, Facebook. Does this mean I am denied this facility?

"The Helpful Posts system has been disabled in favor of the "Like" button using Facebook"

Sorry. Just a query on this. I have no intention of joining, or linking to, Facebook. Does this mean I am denied this facility?

Perhaps not. We could use both, but it would be quite odd to have both. But it can be done. Many changes are taking placed behind the scenes that cannot be announced fully until completed. Until then, I would recommend using the post rating system as well as the reputation system. The post rating system is seldom used, but is a good indicator most of the time.

Maybe this is tongue in cheek. Perhaps the "dissaprove" option should be eliminated. I have not encountered it on other sites.
I recently had a spat when, out of the blue, I recently had three dissaprovals in a matter of hours, without comment, on a post which was fifteen mionths old! Obviously a viscious attack in collusion, (or with a very immature sense of humour) but it does point to a weakness in the approval ratings.
As I would see it, assuming up to date posts, you should approve or leave it alone. All subscribers are , after all, trying their best to offer help.
If, on the other hand, the post is offensive or dangerous in any way, then it is for the moderators to censor it or remove it with comment.

Changelog

Published:

2010-05-14

• Font stylization for links in posts fixed. Further refinements to font colors.
  • Bug found in Facebook "Like" feature, and therefore moved.
  • Helpful Answers restored at user request.
  • Link Removed due to 404 Error feature introduced. Submit your links!
  • Various voting systems detailed at HelpDesk.
To-do:
  • Computer specs
  • Add infobar
  • More...

Back