Windows 7 New Hard Drive Benched-n-Rated.

epk1950

Banned
Ordered a new WD5001AALS Western Digital Black 500GB 32MB Cache a week ago, received it Monday.

its Nice-n-Fast.

Results.

Last edited:
Yes I am like that character out of Lord of the Rings , when I get new kit .
The precious .:D

LOL...Too true..

I love it when I've ordered a big amount.. First there's the waiting for Mr van man, which sometimes can be a adventure in itself,then the boxes from say Overclockers.com arrive!.
Not only do you get to open them like it's xmas or something but then..................... you get to put it all together!

LOL...Too true..

I love it when I've ordered a big amount.. First there's the waiting for Mr van man, which sometimes can be a adventure in itself,then the boxes from say Overclockers.com arrive!.
Not only do you get to open them like it's xmas or something but then..................... you get to put it all together!

Yes that is so much fun . The heart gives that extra jump and your all keyed up :D

Love getting new components

When I order new computer parts, I follow the delivery progress online and when the status is "out for delivery", I mow the grass that afternoon so I can see the UPS truck when it is coming up the street and meet him (or often her) at the truck for my new toy. :razz:

When I order new computer parts, I follow the delivery progress online and when the status is "out for delivery", I mow the grass that afternoon so I can see the UPS truck when it is coming up the street and meet him (or often her) at the truck for my new toy. :razz:

I must admit I have never ordered a computer part online . Could not put up with the wait time . Straight to the shop .
Hell driving home with that hot hard drive or video card . My computer case dont know what hit it !
In and out in record time . Then fire it up

Watch the online retailers

I watch the online retailers for closeout and discontinued specials and often buy parts that i don't need at the moment at 1/2 price, etc. When I accumulate enough parts to assemble a computer, I assemble it and I have only spent a few dollars more than I could have bought an equivalent computer from a big box store already assembled.

Oh, but the pleasure of looking at that new computer with all its pretty lights flashing and blinking and thinking, "I did that????".

I've had some right horror stories to do with deliveries but recently they've been pretty good. Although now if it doesn't turn up on the day I go down to the depo and get it myself (as long as it's there of course)..

Harddrives from yesteryear

Since this thread is a general discussion thread regarding hardware and is discussing harddrives, I wonder if anybody misses the old clickety, clickety, tick of the old harddrives and the scratchy whirr of the 3.5" floppies? I do miss those old sounds. Nowdays the only sounds (at least normal sounds) that come from our computers is fan noise. :(

edit: Back then, we didn't need a harddrive activity light, we knew whether the harddrive was "active" or not.

Last edited:
Since this thread is a general discussion thread regarding hardware and is discussing harddrives, I wonder if anybody misses the old clickety, clickety, tick of the old harddrives and the scratchy whirr of the 3.5" floppies? I do miss those old sounds. Nowdays the only sounds (at least normal sounds) that come from our computers is fan noise. :(

I must admit I dont miss them at all . I have a lot of music playing and at night at low volume so as not to upset my wife !
So the lack of noise is a bonus . The fan is ever present = I hope !

edit: Back then, we didn't need a harddrive activity light, we knew whether the harddrive was "active" or not.

I still use a floppy lol... Only cuz I run a RAID set up and it's just easier to load up the drivers that way.. Admitted I could use other methods but it's just kinda stuck with me i guess..

HDD's did used to be noisy though.. Although I never really minded the whirr of the HD.. Now fan noise...Man! That's the only thing about running a fat card and chip..Noise! If I had the cash I think I'd go with water cooling....

HDD's did used to be noisy though.. Although I never really minded the whirr of the HD.. Now fan noise...Man! That's the only thing about running a fat card and chip..Noise! If I had the cash I think I'd go with water cooling....

Yeah! ear rings once in a while occur!

Listen I am sulking I just installed a new Nvidea g force m275 supposed to me much faster than my gforce 8800 and my my graphics speed on the windows experience index has DROPPED by 0.1 to 6.0

Hi Nehoma,
don't worry just yet... I'd check your drivers, do a good clean up and read this on nvidia drivers

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

Personally, if I install a new card I usually do a fresh install, after backing up of course....

Last edited:
I just orderred a new vid card Gforce 275.
be here tomorrow.
Giggle!!!

Benchmark Results: Far Cry 2 - Review Tom's Hardware : Nvidia GeForce GTX 275 Preview: A Well-Timed Retaliatory Strike?

GTX 275 is a very good card of hi-end segment, it should be faster than GF 8800 GTX. Like kemical suggested, uninstall your old driver, reboot, and then install the driver which comes with the card on CD.

Do not totally rely on Windows productivity index, GTX 275 should give you some very good results in games.

To test it the right way bud, try 3dmark06 or 3dmark vantage.

Code:
http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkvantage/introduction/
Here are some benchies of the high end cards.
Sapphire Toxic HD 4890 Vapor-X review

The vapor x is no longer available unless you find it from someone that owns one already, for the reason I mention this is that this Wednesday coming up I am ordering a
XFX HD-489A-ZDDC Radeon HD 4890 XXX from ebay
Specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150368

which has a core clock of 900MHz vs Vapor-x no longer available that has a core clock of 950MHz, which I will buy a after market cooler for the xfx and overclock it and receive some pretty awesome results which will come close to the vapor x test reults for the price of us224.00 with 2nd day shipping and falls right below the 275 in benchmarks, but anyhow, yea give 3dmark vantage a shot.

Back