Windows 7 New HD in desktop, how to reinstall Windows 7 OS

redbebop

Hello. Recently my computer experienced a Windows OS error which caused my hard drive to become inoperable and unreadable even by external devices. I've since purchased a new hard drive and am ready to install it into my computer. This computer was store-bought and originally came with a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit along with a sticker key on the case. It did not come with a recovery disk. My question is am I able to obtain another complete copy of Windows 7 either through the computer manufacturer or through Microsoft either free or at some cost or am I stuck purchasing another key for Windows 7? I'd like to add that the computer is no longer under warranty and I did not back up my old hard drive. Is it of any help to also obtain a Windows 7 Recovery Disk from the manufacturer?

I don't have any recent experience with OEM type software, but have you just tried to install it from the Windows DVD you have? It might install fine if you only changed the hard drive.

If it asks for a key After you install (do not enter one during the install), you could try to enter yours or call Microsoft to see what they suggest or check the Manufacturer's website.

You can download the Win 7 iso file from Digital River, then burn it to DVD and use this DVD. Your original key might work, but there is a chance you will have to call MS for help with activation. Be sure to download the version your original key was for (Win 7 HP 64 Bit)

To burn the iso file to DVD just right click on it and choose Burn to Disk.

Back
Top Bottom