Windows 8 New installed PC and Win 8.1 causing BSODs

eric87

Hey guys,

I'm facing various problems with my new PC and very often get BSODs in Windows 8.1. That's why I decided to reinstall Windows completely after formating the SSD.

After each important step I safed a Windows backup and started Windows verifier. I recognized installing the newest Nvidia driver always crashes the system (I reloaded an older backup and installed an older driver). But yesterday evening and also today I again got BSODs (see minidumps below).

WhoCrashed always says "This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0) " ... But before reinstalling Win 8.1 I also got different BSODs like MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error, SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK error and some others.

The funny thing is sometimes I can reboot my system with verifier without problems, but then suddenly again the BSODs I described and included below.

I thought about a faulty RAM, but memtest found no errors after 7 passes.

***edit:
Again very confusing behavior after installing ESET Smart Security. When I rebooted with verifier for the first time after installing ESET the system was frozen (see added minidump). Then it rebootet with verifier on and it was successful. I don't understand that shit :X

Any ideas?

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    77 KB · Views: 264
  • 112213-84500-01.dmp
    260.1 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
The last 2-3 reboots with verifier and ESET and so one worked without a crash.

But after some rounds Total War: Rome II again a crash (without BSOD), but with minidump as attached. This time it was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.

Attachments

• 112213-5718-01.dmp
    290.3 KB · Views: 336
Intestingly after using verifier after the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error windows crashed with the following dumps.

Unfortunately this also happens when I reload a former windows backup, which worked with verifier before... :(

Attachments

• 112213-83312-01.dmp
    260.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 112213-83593-01.dmp
    260.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 112213-5296-01.dmp
    260.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 112213-5906-01.dmp
    260.1 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Hi,
I've only had a brief look, but can you remove Eset for the duration of this troubleshoot and use MSE instead:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

You also need to update your audio driver:
RTKVHD64.sys Tue Nov 20 11:10:14 2012
http://152.104.125.41/downloads/dow...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Try this with your Nvidia drivers. Download and run this app:
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

The above is best run in safe mode. To configure safe mode here's a guide: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

The latest Whql Nvidia drivers are here:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Also what size is your PSU?

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I already removed Eset and since then I didn't get any BSOD. Also no MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error since I changed the RAM althought I ran 3DMark06 or RomeII for several hours. For Windows 8.1 you have to use Windows Defender (not MSE). Should I sent an email to ESET that their software causes crashes?

I updated the Realtek Audio driver.

But I don't want to change the Nvidia driver, since the currently used version has very good performance and runs stable. Do you really think it is necessary??

My PSU has 450W (I know that EVGA recomments 500W, but normally this should not be a problem). It also runs stable under high performance applications as mentioned above.

Sorry about the MSE link I should know that already but as I always do dmp files lately said it out of habit (for win 7 users).. :)

If removing Eset is working for you and the Nvidia driver works ok then don't update, it's entirely up to you. I only mentioned it as another possibility for a solution.
It might be worth emailing Eset as it is supposed to be 8.1 compatible, perhaps they might have a solution?

When it comes down to PSU's usually the most important thing to watch out for is ampage. You can have a 500W PSU that only kicks out 25Amps on a 12v rail or a 450W that kicks out 36A on a 12v rail. This is almost always the deciding factor whether the PSU is indeed powerful enough for any given graphics card.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 760 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Last edited:
Ive also been getting BSODS PLEAZE HELP ME this is the dmp

On Mon 17-3-2014 16:48:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031714-42671-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Ive also been getting BSODS PLEAZE HELP ME this is the dmp

On Mon 17-3-2014 16:48:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031714-42671-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Hi Nima,
please create your own thread and read the thread found here:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.178480/
Please post the results.

Back
Top Bottom