New Laptop, Connecting Old Hard Drive, Error Message "Driver Door My Be Open"

Jon Heisler

Hello,

I just got a Lenovo G50 Touch today after my five year old Acer Aspire 5742 was dropped.

After it was dropped and worked for a few hours I shut the old girl down. The next day when I went to use the Aspire I received a boot up error message "Disc Cannot be Read." After talking to Geek Squad they said it was a hard drive issue and suggest that I should just get a new laptop and transfer my data because it would cost about the same for them to fix it.

So I go the G50 and I got a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter to transfer my data from the old to the new. After following the instructions I got an unexpected error message reading "Driver Door May Be Open"

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Jon Heisler

Both of these errors would relate to an optical drive

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know what I can do to get the data from my old hard drive? I've been reading that if I use Ubuntu then I may be able to access it. I have been also getting the error message when I am trying to access the hard drive from the File Explorer "The Parameters Are Incorrect".

Any advise or help would be appreciated.

"The parameters are incorrect" can mean the filesystem or partiton table are damaged. Sometime Linux will have a better time reading the data. I would download Download Hiren’s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform create a bootable usb or disc with Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way. Boot into Hiren and use the Live Linux environment Parted Magic, you can try and repair the disk with this guide Fixing Disks with Parted Magic » Linux Magazine Parted Magic also has a data recovery tool called Testdisk and you can try and recover the data with that, it should work regardless if the partition table is damaged. TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

"The parameters are incorrect" can mean the filesystem or partiton table are damaged. Sometime Linux will have a better time reading the data. I would download Download Hiren’s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform create a bootable usb or disc with Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way. Boot into Hiren and use the Live Linux environment Parted Magic, you can try and repair the disk with this guide Fixing Disks with Parted Magic » Linux Magazine Parted Magic also has a data recovery tool called Testdisk and you can try and recover the data with that, it should work regardless if the partition table is damaged. TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

Thank you so much, I will try your method!

Back