Windows 7 New PC build and windows doesn't install?

TAFFY653

i have just built a computer and im trying to install windows 7.
it copies the system files over in milliseconds (which cant be true) and when its expanding the files it just turns off at 67%?

also when i am trying to format it to be found it wont show on my other computer ? :mad:

also when i am trying to format it to be found it wont show on my other computer ? :mad:

If the hard drive doesn't show when installed on a separate computer with the NTFS filesystem something must be wrong with the drive. You can try to make sure that on the computer where you are installing Windows 7 that you switch from IDE to ACHI in the BIOS, but on first cause it reads as a bad drive? Unless you can somehow check the install disc for errors, that is what it reads.

The drive is a Sata drive and I use a like adapter so it comes trough a USB port cause i used a laptop is that anyway impeding on it being shown ? it shows when I right click on computer and click manage and view the drives there but I cannot do anything to the drive.
The Bios auto detected that it was Sata on the new build and changed it for me.
Thanks Taffy

oops posted in wrong place

The drive is a Sata drive and I use a like adapter so it comes trough a USB port cause i used a laptop is that anyway impeding on it being shown ? it shows when I right click on computer and click manage and view the drives there but I cannot do anything to the drive.
The Bios auto detected that it was Sata on the new build and changed it for me.
Thanks Taffy

Connect it to another machine other than the new one, and I'm persuming it's a new drive (or a formatted one), Go to start>right click computer>Manage>Disk mangement>Rightclick the drive and select "Mark Partition as active" and then make it the boot/Primary partition. following anything is says the format the drive. disconnect the drive and put it in the new computer.

The drive is a Sata drive and I use a like adapter so it comes trough a USB port cause i used a laptop is that anyway impeding on it being shown ?
Yes, I believe that that is the problem you are having. I suspect that the installation is detecting the drive as perhaps removable media, but in any case as a device that will not support and OS install because of the method you are using to connect the drive to the computer. Is there some reason why you haven't physically installed the drive into the laptop?

Yes, I believe that that is the problem you are having. I suspect that the installation is detecting the drive as perhaps removable media, but in any case as a device that will not support and OS install because of the method you are using to connect the drive to the computer. Is there some reason why you haven't physically installed the drive into the laptop?

oh that may be it um i have only connected it that way as its a 5.25" drive and my laptop don't fit that size drive as its to large.

Yes, I really suspect that that is the case, I don't believe that the installer will see that as a suitable location for a OS install. I could be wrong, but I've actually been checking other resources and that seems to be the case, sorry.

Yes, I really suspect that that is the case, I don't believe that the installer will see that as a suitable location for a OS install. I could be wrong, but I've actually been checking other resources and that seems to be the case, sorry.

is there any way of making it able to place the os ?

None that I am aware of, others may have additional information that I don't have, but as far as I know the installer checks for available locations and I don't suspect that your current configuration satisfies that criteria. I don't suspect that even setting the system bios to boot from USB would help, but of course it may be worth a try. You probably wouldn't be very happy in the long run even if you did manage to overcome this obstacle, since I don't suspect that the performance of the OS would be very robust across a USB 2.0 cable. Generally what you are trying to do is reserved for a Windows 7 PE type install (Preinstallation Environment) not for a complete OS install.

None that I am aware of, others may have additional information that I don't have, but as far as I know the installer checks for available locations and I don't suspect that your current configuration satisfies that criteria. I don't suspect that even setting the system bios to boot from USB would help, but of course it may be worth a try. You probably wouldn't be very happy in the long run even if you did manage to overcome this obstacle, since I don't suspect that the performance of the OS would be very robust across a USB 2.0 cable. Generally what you are trying to do is reserved for a Windows 7 PE type install (Preinstallation Environment) not for a complete OS install.

oh lame what about a different hard drive that is formatted to ntfs?

I don't actually believe that it has anything to do with the hard drive itself, but more to do with how the installer sees the way you have it attached to the laptop. So I don't suspect a different HD nor the format of the drive would impact that at all.
Is there some reason why you aren't considering replacing the existing internal drive in the notebook and performing the install to that new drive?

I don't actually believe that it has anything to do with the hard drive itself, but more to do with how the installer sees the way you have it attached to the laptop. So I don't suspect a different HD nor the format of the drive would impact that at all.
Is there some reason why you aren't considering replacing the existing internal drive in the notebook and performing the install to that new drive?

oh the only reason i attached it to the notebook is because the installer wasn't working so i put it on there to format it to FAT cause im trying to install it on a new computer build

Man, talking about missing the point, I apologize, I thought you were trying to install the OS on the USB attached hard drive from the install media using the laptop.
Open disk management on the laptop see if the external USB connected hard drive is listed, probably near the bottom should show up as Disk 1, assuming the laptop is running from Disk 0 and there are no other hard drives attached in any fashion. If it shows up there you should be able to manage it, format it, assign it a drive letter, etc. and then you should probably run check disk to see if there are any problems present.
Again, my apoligies for taking you down that long and twisted mistake of a road.

Man, talking about missing the point, I apologize, I thought you were trying to install the OS on the USB attached hard drive from the install media using the laptop.
Open disk management on the laptop see if the external USB connected hard drive is listed, probably near the bottom should show up as Disk 1, assuming the laptop is running from Disk 0 and there are no other hard drives attached in any fashion. If it shows up there you should be able to manage it, format it, assign it a drive letter, etc. and then you should probably run check disk to see if there are any problems present.
Again, my apoligies for taking you down that long and twisted mistake of a road.

oh its fine ill try anything to get this working :D
ive tried a few times to format the disk using that way but it will not let me for some reason and it says close and reopen and if it shows again restart your computer ive done that 3-4 times and still errors every time i try to manage that drive?

Sorry but it sounds like Mike's initial assessment was acurate and it's time for a new drive. Unless your little adapter deal is not supplying sufficient power, if it's like mine it has a seperate power adapter and connector. Just so we don't go off on another tangent and I have to apologize again. This is the one I use Newegg.com - BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter is yours similar. Unlike notebook drives which can often run from USB power alone, the standard size drives need the extra external power source to spin up correctly and reliably.

Sorry but it sounds like Mike's initial assessment was acurate and it's time for a new drive. Unless your little adapter deal is not supplying sufficient power, if it's like mine it has a seperate power adapter and connector. Just so we don't go off on another tangent and I have to apologize again. This is the one I use Newegg.com - BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter is yours similar. Unlike notebook drives which can often run from USB power alone, the standard size drives need the extra external power source to spin up correctly and reliably.

well that sucks as i got the drive today :(
yeh i use the same kind of adapter that uses external power too
maybe i could format it on a different computer. i tried with a mac but they only format to their own and msdos and exfat ?

Might be worth a try just to see if you can manage it at all regardless of what format just to further the diagnotic process. If the drive is in fact bad then it will probably also fail and if you manage to format a fat16 2gig partition or whatever you can always delete the partition after you're done.

Might be worth a try just to see if you can manage it at all regardless of what format just to further the diagnotic process. If the drive is in fact bad then it will probably also fail and if you manage to format a fat16 2gig partition or whatever you can always delete the partition after you're done.

yeh ill keep trying the formatting.
also the install seems to rush the copying of the system files any ideas on what that could be ?

Difficult to venture a guess currently, with the hard drive at issue, it may just be some aberrant behavior which is a product of the problematic hard drive.
Depending on the hardware present on your new build and the source of the install media (DVD/Flash Drive,etc) the copying files process shouldn't take long as I believe it uses available memory to cache the files and speed up the process but it is usually longer than the milliseconds that you described in your OP.

Back
Top Bottom