Windows 10 New PC opens programs slowly and has a lot of lag issues

Evan Horsley

Extraordinary Member
Recently just rebuilt my workstation PC to be a lot better for this school year (I'm an engineering student). My hardware is as follows:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x CPU
AMD WX Radeon Pro 5100 GPU
Samsung 860 Evo 512gb SSD
2 WD 2tb HDD in RAID setup
ASUS Rog Strix B350-F motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 16gb RAM
I also have a Corsair water CPU cooler. I believe my power supply is around 750 watts (can't remember exactly but I'll have to look).

When my computer first starts up, everything runs fine. Everything is lightning fast. But after a bit of doing stuff, everything slows WAYYYYY down. Minimal CPU and RAM usage, but opening programs takes forever, windows sometimes stops responding, and overall stuff doesn't go anywhere near as fast as it should. Does anyone have any ideas? I assume it's a software issue.

Running a chkdsk returned 0 errors and Samsung magician shows my drive is good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Are you running the latest bios for your B350-F If not I'd upgrade that first to see if it helps? I'd then move onto checking the ram and cpu related tests. Is the ram using XMP, what speed is it rated to? I'd check to see if the board is setting the correct timings. Another cause could be failing to install the current amd chipset drivers.

Are you running the latest bios for you B350-F If not I'd upgrade that first to see if it helps. I'd then move onto checking the ram and cpu related tests.
I actually just updated it (it was a few versions old). I will report back on how it performs after doing that. Thanks!

Well, the computer has slowed back down again.

How do I go about testing my CPU and RAM?

Testing your ram should be done with a memtest86+ usb or cd. Boot into it and allow it to run over night or until it gets errors.
The CPU you can get a trail of aida64 and use it's stress test. Keep an eye on temps using hwinfo64

Sounds good. Monitoring temps shouldn't be an issue, I've got a water cooled system haha.

Even though my CPU and ram are showing up fine, could there be most like "bad sectors"?

Normally with mem tests you'll see errors right away. But overnight is just on the off chance it takes awhile to error. Is bad cells but sort of similar to sector's.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

When my computer first starts up, everything runs fine. Everything is lightning fast. But after a bit of doing stuff, everything slows WAYYYYY down. Minimal CPU and RAM usage, but opening programs takes forever, windows sometimes stops responding, and overall stuff doesn't go anywhere near as fast as it should. Does anyone have any ideas? I assume it's a software issue.
Looks like thermal throttling. Even despite water cooling, this can happen if there is insufficient thermal contact between the CPU and its cooler. I would recommend checking the CPU cooler, and the CPU itself. Make sure the CPU is clean, that you use fresh heat transfer paste and that the cooler is not tilt or twisted when mounted on the CPU.
Of course, in case of water cooling, look if the water runs freely through the cooler, and that it is not congested somehow.

Kind regards,
DAC324

Looks like thermal throttling. Even despite water cooling, this can happen if there is insufficient thermal contact between the CPU and its cooler. I would recommend checking the CPU cooler, and the CPU itself. Make sure the CPU is clean, that you use fresh heat transfer paste and that the cooler is not tilt or twisted when mounted on the CPU.
Of course, in case of water cooling, look if the water runs freely through the cooler, and that it is not congested somehow.

Kind regards,
DAC324
Thanks for the reply!

Inside of hardware monitor when monitoring my temps they are typically around 92°F at idle, and don't go up much when under load. I will check this, but it seems that this might not be it.

Where are you measuring the temperatures? Just make sure you are indeed reading the CPU internal temperature sensor.
If there's everything right, then indeed, it might be a software issue - mainly drivers.

I experienced a similar behavior as you described on a laptop. There, the culprit was the Broadcom WLAN driver.
It cannot hurt to check in Device Manager if everything is OK (no exclamation marks) and to make sure that all drivers are up to date.
According to information found on the network, it may be essential to update the drivers in the correct order:
1. System BIOS
2. Samsung SSD firmware (for some Samsung drives, there are updates available, you'll have to check for your particular model)
3. Chipset drivers (do a restart even if not requested by the installer)
4. Network drivers
5. Graphics drivers
6. Audio drivers
7. All other drivers (printer, scanner etc.)

If that does not help, there might be some Windows process running wild. You can check that with Task Manager, more details, sorted by CPU usage.

Kind regards,
DAC324

Where are you measuring the temperatures? Just make sure you are indeed reading the CPU internal temperature sensor.
If there's everything right, then indeed, it might be a software issue - mainly drivers.

I experienced a similar behavior as you described on a laptop. There, the culprit was the Broadcom WLAN driver.
It cannot hurt to check in Device Manager if everything is OK (no exclamation marks) and to make sure that all drivers are up to date.
According to information found on the network, it may be essential to update the drivers in the correct order:
1. System BIOS
2. Samsung SSD firmware (for some Samsung drives, there are updates available, you'll have to check for your particular model)
3. Chipset drivers (do a restart even if not requested by the installer)
4. Network drivers
5. Graphics drivers
6. Audio drivers
7. All other drivers (printer, scanner etc.)

If that does not help, there might be some Windows process running wild. You can check that with Task Manager, more details, sorted by CPU usage.

Kind regards,
DAC324
Good info!

I did update my BIOS and it seemed to help, bit then the issue came back.

The weird thing is the issue is random. Sometimes it's reallyyyyyy bad. Other times it loads programs up insanely fast. It's weird.

I'll definitely check all of those things when I get a chance. I might have to do a clean install of windows if the problem persists.

Since it's as random as it is, do you think it is unlikely to be a hardware option? Or is that still on the table?

Update: it started doing something new. If I put the computer to sleep, and then wake it back up, it starts to boot and then stops. The screen goes black, and the hard drive activity light stops. If I press the power or the reset button on the front they both do nothing. The only way to fix it is to unplug it, let it sit, and then plug it back in and boot up. Ideas? Is it the motherboard or?

I'd start by checking the voltage outputs and whats reported in hwinfo64 then if they look ok. If you don't have another psu to test with. Take it to a local shop and ask if they have a psu to test with. It could slow it down if not supplying the correct voltages

I'd start by checking the voltage outputs and whats reported in hwinfo64 then if they look ok. If you don't have another psu to test with. Take it to a local shop and ask if they have a psu to test with. It could slow it down if not supplying the correct voltages
Okay good to know. I'll take a look at it and report back. Thanks!

The computer keeps doing like it shows in the video. It freezes on a black screen with no hard drive activity showing. My voltages look normal inside the BIOS, all right at what they're supposed to be. Could it be something else?

When it freezes, pressing the power button and reset switch do nothing. Could it be an issue with Windows?

Back