Windows 7 New pc - what to add on

alexam

I,m very new to this and have just ordered a new PC with Windows 7 to arrive in about 10 days. I have a good 18" LG1810B monitor and although I have tried to research the question - cannot find the answer.

Is it possible to retain the old monitor and have the new Samsung SM-2443BW 24" as the main monitor and have the LG as a second monitor. Also is it possible to have different images on each, for instance, showing a powerpoint on say the LG and continue using the main screen for something else?

If I need additional hardwaer in the PC, I could ask Chillblast to add it in beforet is shipped, so an answr back soon would be appreciated, or e-mail to [email protected].

I,m not too technically minded so please explain details if possible.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Last edited:
you will need a graphics card that supports dual monitors then it is just a matter of changing some display settings in windows and you are good to go

you will need a graphics card that supports dual monitors then it is just a matter of changing some display settings in windows and you are good to go

Thanks Krypto,

the graphics card being put in is the Chillblast Gefroce GTX 275 896MB PCIe, but I will contact Chillblast to ascertain if it is suitable.

Appreciate your help

Malcolm

Here's the Video Card you're getting. Actually Chillblast is the name of the computer builder. It's an Nvidia card. Here's what Newegg says about it.

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

It has 2 DVI outputs plus an HDTV output. If either of your monitors has a VGA input you'll need a DVI - VGA adapter. I have to use one of them and it works fine.

To select which monitor you want to use for whatever just click on the header bar and slide it to the other monitor. Then after you X out of that window it will open it there next time you use it.

The controls for it are in Screen Resolution. Just right click the desktop. In "Multiple Displays" select - Extend these displays. If it's calling the wrong one your main display just click on the other one and check "Make this my main display". You might need to specify which side you want to slide windows to. In the window that shows your displays Just drag and drop the secondary monitor to whichever side your secondary monitor is actually on. It can be really confusing if you have to slide stuff the opposite direction. Believe me I know. I ran into that.

Thanks Stueycaster,

The info has been helpful and I will ask for the right goodies to be added and include the Hauppage Win TV - HVR card. I believe that I will be able to watch one monitor, say TV and work on the other monitor. I am getting a friend of my son's to help assemble the bits and connect everything up. He works in IT and knows most things. Just thought I would ask on the forum.

Much appreciated - but is the Chillblast Compro T750F TV card a good one or are there better around?

Malcolm

Last edited:
I tried to find a review on that TV card but struck out. Sorry but I can't tell you if there is anything better. I don't use my computer to watch TV. I watch a few movies using Media Player though. My TV is hooked to the computer and it works out great.

Back