New Router, maybe.

Chucktin

We are moving accross town, a few miles west. This gives me an opportunity to replace the home router. House is one story, block construction, 2500 SQ ft. Currently I have a LinkSys router with 4 drops and use wireless for wifie's Mac stuff and my Android. But ... what's getting my goat is the constant drop offs for Spectrum Internet. Maybe a different router is an improvement I could use?

There are numerous reasons for poor signal strength in a home. Either get a wireless extender if you have signal quality issues or look into a mesh network setup

Spectrum Internet
With the move....did Spectrum come out and setup new hardware? When we moved we canceled our account/service then re-joined Spectrum as a new customer. We also went from 100 meg to 400 meg. We got the latest hardware, a 2 piece system from them. Maybe call and ask for a equipment upgrade.

If you're going to opt for 3rd party hardware....make sure it's has the new Wifi 6...ie AX and the unit (modem router) is compatible with Spectrum specs.

Oct 4. I had Spectrum out here 4 different times.
1 connect house to Spectrum, just transferring service from previous house to this house. The move was roughly 4 miles between houses.
This house had been wire twice for tv. First time (pre 1995?) for dish? Second time it looked like there was a coax drop installed to almost every room. I stopped counting at 9 cables on 2 amplifiers. I had the tech remove the amplifiers and run the coax to the family room and connect up the ARRIS Cable Modem to the TV and our router, a LinkSys AC 4000 Triband. At that point I figured on getting someone in to crawl around in the attic space (typical 90s truss structure roof) to hard wire for 4 drops.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Continuing - the TV signal has been good since the initial hook up. Only failed one time when all the power went out.
But ... Internet and telephone has been intermittent, 2-3 hours on, 5 minutes to half hour off, sometimes one, sometimes both. To be fair it usually be went out for 5 to 10 minutes. And consistently in the early AM. I get up around 5, habit I can't seem to shake, and check what's new with my android cell phone. I can depend on loosing WiFi)/Internet for an interval just after 5.
So I call Spectrum again. New tech comes out, I _think_ he replaced the splice at the pole where it goes underground.
But the outages continued.

Continuing - I complained again. This time Spectrum send out 3-4 guys and one was a supervisor. They checked the line from the corner to "our" pole and into the house. Made some minor tweaks and said we were all good.
Every visit the techs were hard working and courteous, I can't complain. But ... last two days same-oh, same-oh.
We have been busy painting and getting barn and shop set up (this house was a weekend destination for the previous owner) so my internet surfing has been set aside for other things.
But now I've got my own computer room and it looks like I'll have to complain some more.
What a PITA. Maybe I need some sort of a "sniffer" on the line to record the signal strength?
One other point. I'm also on Verizon. And their signal strength sucks also.
Technology - it's wonerrafull, we really must try it sometime .

What a story. 😰
To recap, your current home is connected to Spectrum with Linksys AC4000. Inhouse you are using cabling and WiFi. Does that mean that you have several WiFi repeaters? It is connected with a cable, 4 miles away to a droppoint near your previous home?
By the way, I think you can't solve this the without being on the spot.

Nope I confused you.
We are in the "new" house.
This house has, now, only one connected coax cable.
All other internet access in the house is wireless.
I hate that.
Sitting here, right now, watching YouTube load at a crawl.

Nope I confused you.
We are in the "new" house.
This house has, now, only one connected coax cable.
All other internet access in the house is wireless.
I hate that.
Sitting here, right now, watching YouTube load at a crawl.

Funny - this cell phone, Pixel 4a, is head and shoulders faster than my desktop machine on wireless. Well, not so funny when I'm waiting for something to load.

Funny - this cell phone, Pixel 4a, is head and shoulders faster than my desktop machine on wireless. Well, not so funny when I'm waiting for something to load.

WTF - I have absolutely no idea why that posted twice. My apologies to all!

Are the internet dropouts on both WiFi - and cable connected computers? We know a little more, if you could check that.
Your cell phone may be connected to some other 4G or even 5G network, that may explain why it is faster.
Are there other WiFi networks active in your home from your neighbours?

I'm getting this double post after some sort of a "you must wait nn seconds before (uploading)" message.

The service drop out does not correspond to any thing or event I can point to. It's, seemingly, not weather related, nor critter (squirrels). Wife says it might be system overwhelmed by everyone logging on but at 0500 in the AM? I don't think so.

Neighbours: your neighbours are likely to using Wifi also, you might 'see' their networks in your home. They might be using the same channels..
Are you able plug in a cable into your modem/router and test it from there?
Overwhelmimg number of logins? Yes, these Denail of Service Attacts are not oncommon these days.

We are on acerage. And neighbors also. I'm going to get house rewired for internet drops next couple weeks.
The existing drops we found on move-in are odd. The Cable comes past the house to the SE corner of the lot, comes down the pole, into ground, travels (buried) west to garage side of house and enters the attic space there. The was split up with a multiple splitter/amplifiers (2) block to 8 or 9 drops for TV and with one going back, in the attic space to a bedroom on the east end of the house where the cable modem/router was, seemingly, installed. From the Router 3 (only) drops came back into the attic to other bedrooms and the family room at the north west end of the building.
The house is "L" shaped and the front entrance/garage door faces south.
My opinion is that that's too weirdo to maintain. I'm having the router & modem installed on a shelf in the ell corner and most of the TV taps (coax) abandoned.

Back