Windows 8 New SkyDrive-Updated for Windows 8 et al

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft have been making changes to Skydrive. Now the service only offers a space of 7GB to new users although if your an existing customer you can upgrade to 25GB for a limited time only:

7GB free for all new SkyDrive users. We chose 7GB as it provides enough space for over 99% of people to store their entire Office document library and share photos for several years, along with room for growth. To put things in perspective, 99.94% of SkyDrive customers today use 7GB or less – and 7GB is enough for over 20,000 Office documents or 7,000 photos. Since the current base of customers using SkyDrive tilts towards enthusiasts, we are confident that, as we expand the range of people using SkyDrive, this 7GB free limit will prove to be more than enough for even more people. We know that many of you signed up for a service that offered 25GB, and some are already using more than 7GB of storage. So, starting today, for a limited time, any registered SkyDrive user *who has uploaded files to SkyDrive* as of April 22nd can opt in to keep 25GB of free storage while still getting all of the benefits of the new service. (For users who are already using more than 4GB as of April 1, we’ve automatically opted you in to 25GB of free storage to avoid any issues.).

skydrive.JPG

You can read the full blog including what it means for Windows users here:

Making personal cloud storage for Windows available anywhere, with the new SkyDrive - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Thanks Ross.
I grabbed the free 25gig upgrade while the grabbing was good.
Not sure if I'll actually use it or not, but who knows with the way things are trending towards the cloud, having the space and not needing it is better than needing the space and not having it.
Randy

I thought the same way Randy. At the moment 25GB seems a lot for me personally but as you say, things can change! :)

Back
Top Bottom