Windows 7 New windows 7 laptop has ONLY sleep mode as lid close choice

AiboPals

I have a puzzling problem, my new laptop allows a variety of power adjustment settings, however the only choice *sleep* for the lid closing, it is greyed out so I cannot select anything else, in the advanced settings no matter which configuration I choose for the rest, I am given just one choice.

I always set ac connected lid close to do nothing on any laptop I have ever had before so I am mighty confused why I have no choice.

Is there some kind of bios edit available (or similar) that will allow me to set things how I really want it\/

Under: Power Options - Advanced Settings.

Mine has a link to: Change settings that are currently unavailable.

That is where I was able to switch mine to "do nothing".

If yours doesn't have that I don't know where to go from there. It might be that you have to be logged into an "Administrator Account".

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, unfortunately it is still greyed out as per the screenie, I have full administrator access thats why I expect to have to go into some kind of internal tweak to fix this.

I couldn't reply yesterday as I closed the lid while I was shutting down the evening before, forgetting it would sleep, end result the wireless lan wouldn't work at all yesterday.

Oh and even though the plugged in section shows blue, as soon as I click on it it goes grey with no dropdown

Attachments

• lidclose.jpg
    lidclose.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,649
Thanks for replying, unfortunately it is still greyed out as per the screenie, I have full administrator access thats why I expect to have to go into some kind of internal tweak to fix this.

I couldn't reply yesterday as I closed the lid while I was shutting down the evening before, forgetting it would sleep, end result the wireless lan wouldn't work at all yesterday.

Oh and even though the plugged in section shows blue, as soon as I click on it it goes grey with no dropdown
Have you clicked on "Why Can't Windows retrieve this information"? What does it say?

Also, what's up with the Wireless Lan? Did you try to use it and it wouldn't work?

Last edited:
It came up with a help screen "solutions for common power problems"

None of which related to not being able to alter the sleep settings or lid settings, I even ran the power troubleshooter but that just wanted to change the plan, since every plan shows the same thing for lid close, including a plan I created for myself in an attempt to sort it.

The Wireless LAN just would not respond to anything, certainly not any fixes or self restarts, reboots etc, however this morning it worked fine

Did the laptop manufacturer supply their own computer control software? A lot of them do. Also do you have an antivirus, internet security program or spyware protection that aggressively watches over system settings. Some of those do it too.

Or maybe something is broken in Windows. You can use System File Checker to try to fix those problems.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I suggest this because of the Wireless problem. There are settings for waking up the wireless in the power plan settings that you're probably not allowed to change. I don't know why that would change this morning though.

I just thought of something else. Have you upgraded your device drivers? Every new computer might come with outdated drivers. Who knows how long they sit in storage waiting to sold.

Last edited:
Hi, just finished running the System file check, absolutely nothing came up, there are a number of samsung programs, nothing there that seems to control the settings etc for power, yep I ran both the samsung file updater for driver/apps/programs and windows update and checked specifically the wireless LAN drivers after I couldnt use it yesterday.

I automatically removed the antivirus they provided pre-loaded (trial version blah) and put on avast home which i've been using for years, turned off windows defender and firewall when trying to fix the lan, haven't reinstated those doubt if I will

This is very easy to fix. There is a program installed on all New Samsung laptops called Fast Start. It basically allows your computer to start up faster when you put it into sleep mode, so you never have to turn off your computer. You have to disable Fast Start before you can change the close the lid option. Press Start , and under Run / search for programs just type in Fast Start. Have a nice day

Thank you so very very much I found Fast Boot, turned it off and have now set the lid closing how I want it

This is very easy to fix. There is a program installed on all New Samsung laptops called Fast Start. It basically allows your computer to start up faster when you put it into sleep mode, so you never have to turn off your computer. You have to disable Fast Start before you can change the close the lid option. Press Start , and under Run / search for programs just type in Fast Start. Have a nice day

Now I just have to figure why the wireless wont work (am I using my old laptop at the moment) Might the good folks here be able to help? if so I will start a new thread for it

@Deoxlar.. I've been trying to fix this same issue for 3 hours! Tyvm! @ AiboPals.. thx for sticking with the questions and getting the correct fix! Thx guys

Back