News from HP!

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Jan 21, 2014.

1. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

I'm sitting here at my computer listening to the TV.
    They just had a news story on MSNBC that said the Hewlett Packard it going back to Windows 7 on their computers.

They announced that they were going back to Windows 7 in hopes of improving sales which have declined since the introduction of Windows 8.

They feel that offering Windows 7 will be an inducement for people to buy a HP computer.

Mike

#1 MikeHawthorne, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

I've been seeing this posted across all the 7 and 8 forums.

3. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I wonder how long before MS puts a stop to it. If they had fixed the interface for desktop users after the user rejection in the first beta release things might have been a lot better. 8.1 and returning the Start button is a joke. Most desktop users don't want a cellphone interface. I know it can be customized and you can learn to use it but everybody doesn't want to relearn how to use a computer. I see a lot of businesses like our local hospitals have just upgraded from XP to Windows 7. I don't see many bigger businesses going to Windows 8 on a large scale.
    Joe

4. Robertwav1

Robertwav1 Active Member

It's amazing how these companies will "Pedal Backwards" to improve sales. I think the reason many businesses are not upgrading to 8 is the IT staff isn't there anymore. It takes real people to migrate to a newer OS. I think we've seen the peak with XP. Then though there is the question of security....hmmm....wonder what that cost when their compromised? Just ask target.

5. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Another looming problem with XP is over 90% of ATMs worldwide use XP. If a business has started shifting from XP to Windows 7 why would they want to add Windows 8 into the mix? I'm a retired machinist and the CNC machine I ran used a Windows 95 PC to connect to the mainframe until it died in 2006, it was the last working Windows 95 out in the shop. I retired in 2010 and they were still using Windows NT and Windows 2000 to connect to mainframe. I suspect in many instances companies will stick with XP until the PC dies. Transfering a program from mainframe to a CNC and inputting hourly data on shop orders don't require much from a PC.
    Joe