Windows 7 no dvd drive

They will say restore it to factory settings, which is vista, and as i have said it works perfect with vista on.

Exactly the Same problem

Hi twdawson,

I brought a Samsung r522 laptop last summer with Vista home premium installed. I got the free Samsung upgrade to windows 7 last week and installed it. Now i have EXACTLY the same problem as your DVD drive not being recognised in the BIOS, Device manager or My computer. However when a disc is inserted into the drive, the drive then shows up in everything! Try opening My computer or Device manager and then inserting a disc. The drive will be instantly recognised. If you open the drive but dont insert a disc the drive will show for a few seconds and then disappear again! I have tried everything to no avail,HELP!!!!!

Hi
Thats the exact same problem i had and i solved it by installing the IMSM driver for the notebook from the samsung website.

What i did was download and install the driver but i left the win 7 disk in the drive and done a couple of restarts and then ejected the drive, then my machine said it has found new hardware. After that i have not had a problem with the dvd drive at all.
I suggest you get the rest of the drivers as well from the link below for windows 7, but make sure you get the correct ones, i.e 32 or 64 bit.

Let me know if it solves the problem, which will mean it was not just a random thing on my machine.

Good Luck

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Fixed!

Thanks twdawson,

I installed the IMSM drivers from the Samsung site, (suitable for 32 and 64 bit), then it asked me to reboot and when i rebooted the computer said that my hardware was ready to use. Everything works fine now! What are IMSM drivers? Thanks again for your help:razz::razz::razz: Andy

As far as i know they are the drivers for the AHCI controller on the motherboard which deals with the dvd drives and other stuff, but i am glad you got it working.
When i first had the problem it took me a while to figure it out because i was using the RC of 7 and samsung did not have any drivers for windows 7 at that time which involved alot of head scratching to figure out what was wrong.

Can i ask what you think of the notebook as it looks the same as the r519.

Anyway glad its sorted.

Last edited:
My Samsung

My R522 is a better model than the R519 (which my daughter has). The R522 specs are 15.6 widescreen, LED backlite screen. Intel core 2 duo (T6500 @ 2.10GHZ), 320 GB hard drive, 4GB ram, ATI Radeon HD4300 Graphics, DVDRW, 1.3m webcam, bluetooth and now with windows 7. A great machine, a big step up to my old Benq 5000 laptop! Are you happy with your R519?

The only thing i dont like about the R519 is the keyboard, it feels a bit cheap and i replaced the hard drive with a 500 gig model and another 2 gig of ram.
I could of got those specs at the time of purchase but funds were short at the time.

Other than that it does not give me any problems now since i sorted the dvd drive issue out.

I am new to this forum. Just installed windows 7 32 bit on a Gateway laptop mx8738. I had windows vista before, and had NO ISSUES burning dvd's. Now windows 7 only reads my dvd burner as a dvd rom and i am having issues burning backup's of my personal owned dvd's(allowed 1 backup copy when purchased). I have a Slimtype DVD a DS8AZ A ATA device. Device type: DVD/CD Rom drives. Manufacturer: (standard CD-rom drives). Location: Location 0(Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
Driver provider Microsoft
Driver Date 6/21/2006
Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385
Windows 7 said there would be no issue with this dvdburner when i did the windows 7 checkup before installing. I can find no firmware or any useful info on google. Of course windows 7 loaded the driver whin i installed.
Sounds similair to same issues with others. Again, this worked perfectly before i installed windows 7 32 bit.
Please offer any advice so I can get back to making my backup copy's because children are very rough on dvd's.
Thanks in advance,
Don777

I am new to this forum. Just installed windows 7 32 bit on a Gateway laptop mx8738. I had windows vista before, and had NO ISSUES burning dvd's. Now windows 7 only reads my dvd burner as a dvd rom and i am having issues burning backup's of my personal owned dvd's(allowed 1 backup copy when purchased). I have a Slimtype DVD burner DS8AZ A ATA device.
Now being read as
Device type: DVD/CD Rom drives. Manufacturer: (standard CD-rom drives). Location: Location 0(Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
Driver provider Microsoft
Driver Date 6/21/2006
Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385
Windows 7 said there would be no issue with this dvdburner when i did the windows 7 checkup before installing. I can find no firmware or any useful info on google. Of course windows 7 loaded the driver whin i installed.
Sounds similair to same issues with others. Again, this worked perfectly before i installed windows 7 32 bit.
Please offer any advice so I can get back to making my backup copy's because children are very rough on dvd's.
Thanks in advance,
Don777

Back