Windows Vista No sound after "dirty" re-install of Vista.

msh441

A conflict between my ipod (and every other new USB devices) pushed me in the direction of a dirty re-install of Windows Vista on my Dell XPS M1210 laptop. The re-install worked per-se as my brand new ipod now syncs fine and all USB devices (new and old) work like a champ… on the down-side: I’ve now got no sound from the laptop!

I originally was seeing a red X on the volume icon in the taskbar and getting the message that “No Audio Devices Installedâ€Â￾ (from memory… so the message might have been a little different).

I’ve worked through updating the driver’s for both the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio Codec (driver version 6.10.0.5343) as well as the Sound Blaster Audiology HD program used on my Dell and according to the Device Manager, everything should be working.

Now, instead of the “No audio device installedâ€Â￾ message, I get “The audio service is not runningâ€Â￾ when I mouse over the volume. I can right click on the volume icon and select from Output Devices, Recording Devices and Sounds. Selecting any indicates that “This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable Windows Audio Service?â€Â￾. Well, of course I would… and doing so brings up the Sound window, which shows an icon for Speakers/Headphones and another for Digital Output Device (S/PDIF) and both indicate they are working under the updated Sigma Tel CODEC. Under the Recording tab, there’s a line-in mic that’s also listed as working (in some alternate universe, it appears).

Well, since the drivers suggest they are installed and working (somewhere)… I turned to the service manager for answers and discovered that the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service and Windows Audio service are set to “automaticâ€Â￾, but both indicated they are Stopped.

When trying to start the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder I received the error message: “Windows failed to start service on local machine – Error 0x800700002 System could not find file specifiedâ€Â￾.

Attempts to start the Windows Audio service I get the error message: “Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on local computer. Error 1068: Dependency Service or group failed to startâ€Â￾. Believing this to be a clue… I checked the Properties of Windows Audio and looked at the Dependencies tab.

It appears that Windows Audio service depends on the following systems or components:
-Multimedia Class Scheduler
-Remote Procedure Call (RPC)>DCOM Server Process Launcher
-Windows Audio Endpoint Builder>Plug and Play

All the dependencies have started and are working just fine except for the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder. Again… a clue perhaps?

Right now that’s where I’m stuck. All the simple “Uninstall the driver and restartâ€Â￾ threads have been no help. I can’t help but feel I’m a registry tweak away from being back in business. Please… if anyone can help, I have PayPal and will send you Espresso or beer money!!!

tough one bud.
but you will need another fresh load of windows.
keep the beer, you'll need it

Your right... that's pretty much what I ended up doing. Wasn't as bad as I though backing everything up and reinstalling...

...probably easier than troubleshooting this for days on end.

Oh, well...

Back