Windows 7 No Space Left on my C Drive - Help

kirkie

I have 1.50 GB left of my 132 GB storage. I have no idea what I can delete or even what I can transfer to my D Drive as I have 71.7 GB free on there.

Just a quick look and I have pagefile.sys which is 3,931,448 KB

Any Help or Advice would be appreciated...

Cheers

For a HDD to perform as it should it's best to try and leave at least 25% free. Have you tried running something like Ccleaner?
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Also why not place some files in the cloud? Microsoft's Skydrive allows for 7.5GB of online storage for free:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/skydrive/download

You could also try burning some files to DVD or buy an external Hard drive
I use CCleaner on Start Up and I have done for many years.

I have an External Hard Drive which contains all my music. I moved all my photos to my D Drive, but is there anything else I can shift across?

Having a cleaner will not solve your problem. Yes, it will clear up some space, but seeing how you only got 1.5gb left, it's not going to clear more than a couple gb, if that. Go out and buy another hard drive.

Having a cleaner will not solve your problem. Yes, it will clear up some space, but seeing how you only got 1.5gb left, it's not going to clear more than a couple gb, if that. Go out and buy another hard drive.

Thanks for replying, but surely it would be cheaper to replace the computer or are Hard Drives pretty cheap?

Lets see...HDD 1 TB size avg price $70.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148321

New computer, desktop retail, lets say from walmart....avg price for avg desktop, roughly $500
http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-...-Drive-and-Window-8-Operating-System/24699992

Sorry didn't realise they were so cheap. Can you recommend one for my msi laptop that currently has a 233GB Hitachi HTS545025B9A300 SATA Hard Drive and I live in the UK?

Cheers

Sorry didn't realise they were so cheap. Can you recommend one for my msi laptop that currently has a 233GB Hitachi HTS545025B9A300 SATA Hard Drive and I live in the UK?

Cheers

There are currently only 3 major manufacturing facilities for these hard drives. Doesn't really matter which hard drive you buy anymore. They all have components from the same places anyway.

Don't know if this will help, or if you have the funds.

I have Windows-7 running on a 120-gig SSD drive. Makes the OS rock..! I have a second drive, a 2-TiB sata2 hard-drive for my storage.

BUT... if you go this way, and many have. You really ought to put the System Temp, Temp, pagefile.sys on another drive. It will extend the life of the SSD drive.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help, or if you have the funds.

I have Windows-7 running on a 120-gig SSD drive. Makes the OS rock..! I have a second drive, a 2-TiB sata2 hard-drive for my storage.

BUT... if you go this way, and many have. You really ought to put the System Temp, Temp, pagefile.sys on another drive. It will extend the life of the SSD drive.

I like the idea of the 120-gig SSD drive and I have seen it for £71.20.. Is it an easy job or should I take it somewhere and get it done as I don't want to lose anything?

Cheers

You know on the boot-up, how you get the four swirly colours.... and then the blue-ish "welcome screen".

Since going to an SSD drive, I don't even see the blue-ish welcome screen...!

You know on the boot-up, how you get the four swirly colours.... and then the blue-ish "welcome screen".

Since going to an SSD drive, I don't even see the blue-ish welcome screen...!

Seriously my computer takes around 12 minutes to load up before I can do anything...

Holy Sh*t.....!

I... this is only me. IF this was my box.... I'd copy my important stuff to a usb3-stick... and re-format & a fresh install.

Yes that does that a bit of time. But trying to fix your present problem may well take longer.

Hi

A 130 gig hard drive is pretty small anymore.

I just looked at my C:\ drive and I'm using 175 Gigabytes of the 500 Gigabytes on it, and I don't have any data stored on it at all, only Windows and some software installations.

Just out of curiosity I added up how much stuff I have on my computer, (never actually looked at the total before) and I have 800 Gigabytes total used space out of 2000 Gigabytes.

That's 800,000 Megabytes, pretty amazing when you think that my first computer had a 140 megabyte hard drive.

I have many individual files that wouldn't fit on my first hard drive all by themselves now.

And when you look at the size of software installs, if I remember correctly Windows 3.1 took about 17 Megabytes of disk space.

Now I have some games that take as much as 25 Gigs just for the install.

If you want to take an easy way out, you could get a 1TB internal drive, as was suggested, and put it in your computer.

Then remove the software one program at a time from your C:\ drive, and reinstall it to the new drive.

If your D:\ drive is a partition of a single hard drive, you can remove the partition and return the space to C:\.

If your D:\ drive is already a separate hard drive replace it with the larger drive and do the same thing and you won't have to replace your Windows installation.

My Windows installation alone only takes about 25 Gigabytes.
So you could probably end up with only about 50 Gigs on your C:\ drive after moving the stuff that can be moved.

Mike

I'm just old enough to remember when having 1 gb of hard drive space was a really big deal. My brother and I were like "holy cow, what are we going to do with all this space?"

Not very relevant, maybe, but I can remember when 80Mb was heavy, and when I got myself a 400Mb HDD, I was thrilled and thought, nothing can get better...

Now I have two 120Gb SSDs, and a 1Tb HDD, and another 1Tb in reserve, and I also have a friend who lost 4Tb in a crash - a modder. The "increase in data" is incredible.

Going to mechanics, I can remember one of the classic cars, Ford Anglia. All you needed was a screw driver and a wrench, and you could fix everything. And it's only some decades ago.

==========================================================================

I'm not sure a SSD of 120Gb would be the right solution. You seem to have an issue with capacity. That would more easily be solved with HDDs - you can get a 1Tb HDD at the same price as a 120Gb SSD, or even lower price, and present HDDs can perform anything you need - SSDs aren't that supreme, in daily life.

They also make hybrid hard drives that are faster with SSD cache, the Seagate Momentus XT comes to mind. I've used this laptop hard drives even in desktops, and they perform well considering they only have a few GB of SSD cache.

Back