Windows 7 No Upgrade from XP to Windows 7

So is like 7 years old,

That's like win 95 to xp, no upgrade was offers for that.

I will say though ms should make this possible, like 90 % of potential win 7 folk sare using xp now.

Yeah, this does suck, I did run an upgrade on my computer, and it worked fine, I guess my home PC will have to clean install, even if we only get this until August 1st, it is better, because I had Windows Vista OEM Version, and on this computer it sucked, and downstairs we have an ungenuine Windows XP -.- So Windows 7 Beta was WAY better and more stable suprisingly.

Clean installs are the only way to go with a new OS. Anything else generally causes problems.

It is not so hard to back up data files, or store them on a separate hd.

And since W7 is built around the Vista kernel - and XP is not - it makes perfect sense.

Well even with Vista you couldn't do an upgrade from Beta 2 to Release Candidate 1. I'm glad I just had it on a test machine only.

Clean installs are the only way to go with a new OS. Anything else generally causes problems.

It is not so hard to back up data files, or store them on a separate hd.

And since W7 is built around the Vista kernel - and XP is not - it makes perfect sense.

Very well said!! I agree completely! :) Plus the fact that a clean install only takes about 20 minutes with Windows 7 Beta and an upgrade takes 30-40 minutes.. a clean install just makes sense.. ;)

I thought I remembered that you couldn't upgrade from Vista Beta to the final release. If the same holds true for Win7, that will prove to be a big problem for people who held their breath, and did an upgrade install of this Beta. They may be stuck having to start again later on.

(Although, having said that, I agree that a clean install is always the best awy to go with a new version of the OS!)

In my case, I have a clean, dual boot version of Win7, but, as time goes on and I move more and more apps over to it, and find that it doesn't crash at least once a day like Vista has for the last 2 years, I foresee a lot of duplicate work to be done later this year!

GreyBat, I think you're right. But I don't think (I certainly hope not at least) that will hold true in this case. Given the huge number of people using Win7, that would be a horrible public relations move. Judging by M$'s Windows Live Messenger actions, I think they'll offer updates from beta to full. And if you don't use that program, they did a 'silent upgrade' from their RC1 to final. Hopefully, that's along the lines of what they'll do with Win7. Cross your fingers! :)

No problems here--

When I did Custom install Windows7 auto selected the Logical drive,with my Primary just left sitting there with my XP System on, so story a load of phooey,or some such trite.

Morrig, I think you have missed the point. You did a Custom install, to a new partition. The original post refers to an UPGRADE install to an XP installation.

i just did a the most recent beta download and did a clean empty install of a old hard drive and not messing with my orginal hard drive and my HP computer that is near 5 years old
as far as i can tell i have the desktop running and it is less than a hour as of now installed
i will post more later for new update how this is going

so i suggest a second hard or do a complete back up on the data and software
that you have and burn them to dvd disc if you want to do a upgrade or a clean formated install

Very well said!! I agree completely! :) Plus the fact that a clean install only takes about 20 minutes with Windows 7 Beta and an upgrade takes 30-40 minutes.. a clean install just makes sense.. ;)

In principle you are right -- but most people DO actually have other stuff installed on their computers -- Maybe Microsoft Office (EXCEL, WORD, OUTLOOK) etc etc. to say nothing of other programs such as WinDVD, "Ichoons", Winamp, Cd burning etc etc.

You'll have to dig out the original install disks, find the original serial numbers and re-install. After that you'll have to track down all the fixes and upgrades you made to the products (not an easy process) and apply those. Then you *might* find the application doesn't work anyway. An upgrade at least tells you before you start what isn't likely to work after the upgrade or what is incompatable.

Then you'll probably have to track down various printer drivers etc etc.

Doing a CLEAN install is fine if you don't have much else on your computer but can be a pain if you have a load of decent applications.

Incidentally any guys running stuff on XP you got from Torrents -- a Clean install here will definitely be a problem for you as the original torrents (XP) will probably have been wiped -- another good reason for not using Software from shall we say "dubious sources".

Note also there's no native E-MAIL client in Windows 7 -- you'll have to source your own, use OUTLOOK (from the Office suite) or Windows Live (which I don't really like). - Or Open Office (FREE) can be loaded on to Windows -- this has an email client in it.

Cheers

jimbo

Jimbo,

I'm with you that a Clean install can be a pain - takes me about 4 days! But I think it is the best choice. Apart from getting the new system set up cleanly, you can review all your installed apps, and discard the ones you don't use, clean out drivers for devices you have replaced, clean up the updates process (install service packs instead of multiple security updates - that's for a re-install of existing OS, of course, not for a new OS.... hopefully!) etc. Personally, I keep a more or less up to date list of everything I have to install, review it before a new install, and print it out. It's only about 150 entries long!!!

Regarding email apps, don't forget Thunderbird (also FREE).... and many others!

It's not the clean install that's bad, especially when it only takes 20 minutes. It's the two or three days to get all of the software re-installed and find the registrations keys from all of the pirated software. (Just kidding). :)

I keep all my files in a Setup folder so whenever I install a new OS, I just install everything in that browser. Contains rips from CDs and a few exes. For most open-source apps or free apps, I just visit their websites though because they are constantly being updated that by the time I format, my .exe is already outdated. These are basically the apps I install with each new OS installation. Usually takes about less than an hour:
- Office 2007
- Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Antivir
- Spybot
- Photoshop CS3
- Nero 9
- MIRC
- Live Messenger
- Quicktime / iTunes
- Windows Update and Drivers (I guess this should count too since it takes a while and you have to reboot)

There isn't really that much to install. How does it take some of you days to install stuff?

update from xp to 7

It was announced that Windows XP users won't be able to upgrade from XP straight to Windows 7. The minimum upgrade will be Vista SP1. Xp users will have to do a clean install.

First Look: Microsoft Blocks XP-to-Windows 7 Beta Upgrades - Software - IT Channel News by CRN and VARBusiness
Why at a later date can i not get an upgrade from xp to windows 7 insteadof a clean install. I will lose all my "programs"
if i donot have a backup.I have a backup 2nd .hard drive.I not please with Microsof's decicision to replace xp.
Alex6500

win xp 32 t0 win 7 64

I did the upgrade but I can't get the migration tool to copy all of my files that I backup, probably screwed up I need to migrate my email from TB in a winxp file to win 7 any ideason how and where I made a backup before i STARTED WINXP BACKUP bkf FILE stored on a external HD NOW i CAN'T OPEN IT sorry been banging away for 6-7 hours any help will be GREATLY appreciated according to the video the 2010 migration tool should copy everything without a problem it doesn't explain the setup. Thanks GOOD Night

Probably a little to late now.
There is a program, MozBackup (Google it), that backs up FireFox and Thunderbird.

I got a quick solution for you guys. Buy Vista, do a upgrade then when that is done, Upgrade to 7.

Well maybe not so quick. Haha.

Back