Windows 7 No Upgrade from XP to Windows 7

I never touched Vista for obvious reasons. Went from 2000 pro to XP pro (purchased an upgrade & full version for two scratch built machines) and now have 7RC loaded on a dual boot. This new OS is very good so far & I intend to switch over after service pack #1 has been released (don't like being a beta tester). Hear me loud and clear Microsoft... give me credit (some kind of $ price break) for being a loyal OS customer or I'll ignore Windows 7 just like I ignored Vista. No kidding folks!! Don't care if a clean install is
needed, I'll copy my important files as I have always done. But work it out so that during the install, I pop in my disk from the old copy of Windows XP and the clean install proceeds as an upgrade at a lower price.

This may be a problem for some, but let's face it, most of your new OS sales for 7 will be OEM versions on new machines anyway. Don't make us suffer because the folks in Redmond had their heads up their buts for a short spell. It will be wrong to try and recover your losses on Vista, on the backs of the consumers, JUST WRONG!

I never touched Vista for obvious reasons. Went from 2000 pro to XP pro (purchased an upgrade & full version for two scratch built machines) and now have 7RC loaded on a dual boot. This new OS is very good so far & I intend to switch over after service pack #1 has been released (don't like being a beta tester). Hear me loud and clear Microsoft... give me credit (some kind of $ price break) for being a loyal OS customer or I'll ignore Windows 7 just like I ignored Vista. No kidding folks!! Don't care if a clean install is
needed, I'll copy my important files as I have always done. But work it out so that during the install, I pop in my disk from the old copy of Windows XP and the clean install proceeds as an upgrade at a lower price.

This may be a problem for some, but let's face it, most of your new OS sales for 7 will be OEM versions on new machines anyway. Don't make us suffer because the folks in Redmond had their heads up their buts for a short spell. It will be wrong to try and recover your losses on Vista, on the backs of the consumers, JUST WRONG!

Windows Vista is actually a decent OS.. I admit it didn't have the best start but it has since become a pretty good OS.. ;) I'm still using it on one of my pc's.. Win 7 is on most of my other pc's but I still find Vista useful for some things..

As for Microsoft giving you a price break just because you've used their products for however many years.. good luck with that.. ;) I see your point but it's not going to happen unfortunately...

Why wait until Service pack 1 to get Windows 7? Win 7 is by far the most stable Windows release to date in my opinion.. Sure, Service Pack 1 will most likely fix some bugs but Win 7 is definitely more then stable enough to purchase at it's release on Oct 22nd.. ;)

xp to win 7

First I backed xp I loaded win 7 I had to install xp virtually then I downloaded a back up repair program to read my saved file win 7 would not let me replace with back up it's a pain but I'm running Thanks.

I don't see what all the big deal is about. When you do a custom install, all your previous OS files are placed in a Windows.old folder in the root of the new Windows installation. You really don't have to backup anything. Simply re-install your programs and place the folders from the old installation into the new one to get your stuff back...

Upgrading OS's is overrated. It causes more problems than adding functionality. It's almost never worth it.

I don't see what all the big deal is about. When you do a custom install, all your previous OS files are placed in a Windows.old folder in the root of the new Windows installation. You really don't have to backup anything. Simply re-install your programs and place the folders from the old installation into the new one to get your stuff back...

Upgrading OS's is overrated. It causes more problems than adding functionality. It's almost never worth it.

It's not quite that easy my friend.. ;) It is ALWAYS a good idea to create backups when upgrading an OS.. There's absolutely no guarantee that all your personal files will be placed in the Windows.old folder.. Especially if you create your own folders to place your personal files in.. Not everyone puts their music/movies/data in the "My Documents" or "My Libraries" folders.. Those are what get put in the Windows.old folder.. ;) A user created folder that sits on a different partition or in a different directory then the default Windows Libraries directories do not get placed in the Windows.old folder by default..

I do agree with you that Upgrading causes more problems then it's worth most of the time.. :)

I could be wrong here but it sounds like your confusing an Upgrade install and a Clean Install.. If you do a Clean Install you format your HDD before the installation begins.. Thus the Windows.Old folder isn't created.. If you do an Upgrade Install then the Windows.Old folder is created.. ;)

It's not quite that easy my friend.. It is ALWAYS a good idea to create backups when upgrading an OS.. There's absolutely no guarantee that all your personal files will be placed in the Windows.old folder.. Especially if you create your own folders to place your personal files in.. Not everyone puts their music/movies/data in the "My Documents" or "My Libraries" folders.. Those are what get put in the Windows.old folder.. A user created folder that sits on a different partition or in a different directory then the default Windows Libraries directories do not get placed in the Windows.old folder by default..

I do agree with you that Upgrading causes more problems then it's worth most of the time..

I could be wrong here but it sounds like your confusing an Upgrade install and a Clean Install.. If you do a Clean Install you format your HDD before the installation begins.. Thus the Windows.Old folder isn't created.. If you do an Upgrade Install then the Windows.Old folder is created.. ;)

Well I see what you're trying to say. I'm no computer genious, nor do I plan to claim to be. Anything I say will be based purely on experience, so sometimes that tends to bend the laws of technical logic because I do some pretty wierd stuff on my computers. They go far-and-beyond what any machine is meant to do. But here's my two cents...

On Windows 7, if you have that RC or RTM disc in the drive ready to go, you begin the setup. Now when you go to choose Clean or Upgrade, clicking Clean will bring you to another menu that allows you to do a custom install. When you do that custom, it will erase everything on the partition you have selected, leaving the other one (or ones -- if applicable) untouched anyways. On the partition you've selected, ALL files from your previous operating system will be moved to that folder, not just the ones in your personal folders (I mean everything from your system files, program files, application folders, setup files, temp files, pagefile -- well maybe not that, but you get what I mean). So what I was getting at is that even if you don't save your files in any one place, as long as their on the partition they will still be there. ;)

Now of course, that doesn't include all the extra chances that some harddrive error or data fault could occur. I assumed everyone knew about that chance so I usually choose not to disclose anything relating to it. An error on my part. When it comes to technology, I shouldn't assume anything. :eek:

And yes, I do recommend that everyone should back up their data. My post was just influencing the possibility that if finding the media to back their files up on is too hard to accomplish, that all is not lost. Just trying to give folks another option. :D

As for Microsoft giving you a price break just because you've used their products for however many years.. good luck with that.. ;) I see your point but it's not going to happen unfortunately...

I beg to differ, when I purchased the two XP OS's, one was a full version which I paid full price
for, the upgrade was less money :)
When installing that upgrade, windows asked for the 2000pro disk to be placed in the drive
just to confirm the former OS for the legitimacy of that upgrade. I want this option again!
I give my customers a price break when they give me repeat business. It's just good business.
Saving a few dollars on an OS just allows the consumer to purchase a good anti-virus software
to protect their machines from all the security holes in Windows:p
I predict slow sales, if the price tag for 7 is over $300 US, in today's economy, it's just folly.
I don't care how good the product is...

On Windows 7, if you have that RC or RTM disc in the drive ready to go, you begin the setup. Now when you go to choose Clean or Upgrade, clicking Clean will bring you to another menu that allows you to do a custom install. When you do that custom, it will erase everything on the partition you have selected, leaving the other one (or ones -- if applicable) untouched anyways. On the partition you've selected, ALL files from your previous operating system will be moved to that folder, not just the ones in your personal folders (I mean everything from your system files, program files, application folders, setup files, temp files, pagefile -- well maybe not that, but you get what I mean). So what I was getting at is that even if you don't save your files in any one place, as long as their on the partition they will still be there. ;)

Ok I'm slightly confused by this paragraph.. When you say "Custom Install" are you talking about a Clean Install?

A Clean install is just that. You are correct in that if you choose to do a Clean install you are brought to a menu where you can format/delete/create partitions.. When doing a Clean install you format the partition that contained your previous OS or you create a new partition if the drive is empty.. You then install the new OS to that freshly formatted/created partition.. Any other partitions will not be erased (normally), thus any files you have sitting on them will indeed still be there when the installation is complete.. But nothing is moved anywhere in this case.. ;)

If you do an Upgrade install then you are simply installing the new OS over the old OS without physically erasing anything.. In this case yes, all the files you had sitting on the c: will be moved into the Windows.Old folder.. Any other partitions you had will also stay as they were. No files are moved from those seperate partitions even in the case of an Upgrade install, only files that were on the c: are moved.. ;)

I beg to differ, when I purchased the two XP OS's, one was a full version which I paid full price
for, the upgrade was less money :)
When installing that upgrade, windows asked for the 2000pro disk to be placed in the drive
just to confirm the former OS for the legitimacy of that upgrade. I want this option again!
I give my customers a price break when they give me repeat business. It's just good business.
Saving a few dollars on an OS just allows the consumer to purchase a good anti-virus software
to protect their machines from all the security holes in Windows:p
I predict slow sales, if the price tag for 7 is over $300 US, in today's economy, it's just folly.
I don't care how good the product is...

I agree fully Dave and they should do exactly that. What I find strange is you can still buy XP SP3 at almost the same price as Vista and they are not going to support upgrades from XP? I think that will change as too many people will complain about that. Right now you can buy Vista with a free upgrade to 7 so I can't see them not supporting XP upgrade to 7 but then again MS doesn't always make sense in their decision making.

Ok I'm slightly confused by this paragraph.. When you say "Custom Install" are you talking about a Clean Install?

A Clean install is just that. You are correct in that if you choose to do a Clean install you are brought to a menu where you can format/delete/create partitions.. When doing a Clean install you format the partition that contained your previous OS or you create a new partition if the drive is empty.. You then install the new OS to that freshly formatted/created partition.. Any other partitions will not be erased (normally), thus any files you have sitting on them will indeed still be there when the installation is complete.. But nothing is moved anywhere in this case..

If you do an Upgrade install then you are simply installing the new OS over the old OS without physically erasing anything.. In this case yes, all the files you had sitting on the c: will be moved into the Windows.Old folder.. Any other partitions you had will also stay as they were. No files are moved from those seperate partitions even in the case of an Upgrade install, only files that were on the c: are moved..

I see what you're getting at, and I can see why I keep confusing you. Hehe, I'm really sorry lol.

2 options: Upgrade and Clean. When you click on Clean it gives you the option for a "Custom Clean" (Located under advanced options).

Now there are 3 options. Upgrade, Clean, and Custom.

I thought I was confused in how the process to installations works, so I consulted the guide to installing W7.

An upgraded installation will only move the operating system's 'system files' (C:\Windows and temp files like thumbnails) to the windows.old folder. All the programs you installed on lets say, Vista, will remain installed on W7 (like any installed games, office programs, applications) rendering them usable on the new OS. Any personal files in your Vista folders are now moved to the personal folders in W7 -- integrating previous files into a new operating system. All W7 did was move your old system files to write over that space with the new ones.

Clean install just wipes the partition clean, leaving nothing.

Custom Clean does the same thing Clean does, with one exception: A Custom Clean install will not physically erase anything except the registry, pagefile, and boot sector. Instead of erasing any files on the partition, it will move them *all* to the newly created Windows.old folder -- leaving your previous operating system environment intact, though permanently boot-inaccessible. This means that you can grab any files or folders previously created in your former operating system, you just cant boot the former operating system. Are you guys kinda getting it? ;)

And Radenight, yes I am appreciating your emotes. It shows that both of us are not arguing or attacking eachother, but are simply trying to clarify our points of view. Very respectful. Especially when we're not talking face-to-face, it shows your concern for my feelings. I can understand how it gets when people misinterpret what you're trying to say, considering human communication is based on perception. If I could give you any more reputation, I would but it won't let me. Looks like you're maxed out.

And so here's my question... Were you aware at any point that that advanced option existed during the installation? I perceived your responses as if you didn't know about it and that I was confusing Custom with Clean even though both options existed. However, I accept the simple fact that I may have been mistaken. Please point me in the right direction.

As far as you and I have gone with this, I'm almost convinced that we should start another thread lol. :D

I did actually know the 3rd option existed but I won't lie, I had completely forgotten about it until now.. ;) I thank you for reminding me.. :) I see exactly what you ment now.. No worries. I agree with you that it's great to be able to have a civilized "argument" (so to speak) in a society that doesn't always get along like that..

I also agree that we have went as far as we can go with this topic.. But that's good because we've covered every angle of it.. :)

*On a side note, the rep system is designed so that you can't give rep to the same person more then once in a row.. After you give a rep point to someone you then have to spread it around some before you can give that person more.. ;)*

Back
Top Bottom