Windows 7 No video files will play for me

Roscopecotrain

I have recently found that none of my video files work, I have tried windows media centre, media player and VLC. All result in the BSOD! I have tried using PSR to record my actions but because it results in the blue screen, it doesn't complete and save to zip file, resulting in no solution or the steps filed. They all played under XP, and have both double clicked and opened within prgrams, resulting in shutdown.
Has anyone else had similar problems or fixed something similar. Any help would be appreciated!

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard and video card would be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Are you using the official RC directly from Microsoft?
Did this occur immediately after install?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?
Go to Start > Run, and type eventvwr.exe and expand the Windows log section and look for errors and Warnings.. Post back with the Event ID so we can look it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using 32-bit build 6.1.7100. Clean install, single boot, official version from MS website. It occured 2 days after when deciding to watch a movie, I did have some trouble during initial install when installing my graphics driver when i got the 2 black bars at the side which was fixed via resolution. Possibly it may have to do with the driver install, although it doesnt come up with any flags in device manager.
The only video software I have installed that may affect is VLC, maybe avast (?)

So have been looking through the logs and found this: The application (nVidia Display drivers/nView Desktop Manager (NVIDIA Drivers), from vendor NVidia) has the following problem: nVidia Display drivers/nView Desktop Manager (NVIDIA Drivers) is incompatible with this version of Windows. Found the reason why, thanks very much to reghackr for your help, now to find a driver that is supported :)

Well I tried the Geforce/ION update,also the windows vista and 7 update Link Removed due to 404 Error but neither worked, they said "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." This happened on both instances. Have tried for automatic detection within the driver settings, but apparently I am running the most up to date driver, but yet I am still getting Blue screen when attempting to play vidoe files. Same message in event viewr as well "nVidia Display drivers/nView Desktop Manager (NVIDIA Drivers) is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact NVidia." Grrr :/

Sorry for lateness, study has been a priority for a while. The make is the Nvidia Geforce Go 7400, with 256 mb of RAM, running driver 6.14.10.8606, if any help (dunno what it means tho) the PNP is PCI/VEN_10D&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_820F104D&REV_A1\4&12AE136A&0&0008. This info is from msinfo32, if there is more that would be helpful,dont hesitate to ask.

I'm having a similar problem; any video i try to play results in the BSOD with the error message "interrupt exception not handled" I have a brand new radeon hd 3650 video card driver 8.452.0.0; the newest patch from sapphire just installed. I'm running windows 7 RC version 6.1.7100. My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+ 2.20 GHz single core. Very confusing and frustrating problem, thanks for the consideration

Im not sure this will fix your issue but to others that are having trouble playing back .avi's and cant get them to play with the 7 codecs, vlc player, or other codec packages, try downloading the K-lite codec pack. I was unable to play avi files no matter what codecs I installed but the k-lite package finally fixed the issue. Like I said it may not fix the issues you are having because that sounds more like a driver problem but if you are just having trouble getting files to play due to a lack of proper codecs than this may be what you need.

K-lite Codecs

The codecs didn't seem to make a difference. but i tested some home movies played in windows media player and they work fine, it's just videos from youtube (youtube only) does this make a difference?

Last edited:
My problem has been fixed by locating a proper driver that was compatible, have had zero problems since. However mine was caused by .avi and java based apps. Possibly could be the driver, and use reghakr's advice regarding msinfo32 as it identifies exactly the problem.

IE 8. 32 bit. yeah flash would seem to describe it; not sure why i didn't notice that before. i downloaded the newest drivers for the 3600 series and 3800 to no avail

FIX for video files not playing

If you are dealing with opening media files from a browser, I have a fix on my blog:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Not sure if it will fix all media issues, but it fixes the linked videos not opening. There is some work you will have to do (copy and save). This is intentional to avoid someone hijacking the .reg file and causing harm to your system. As it stands, you can see the precise changes that will be made to your registry.

Peace and Grace,
Greg

Windows 7 Blue Screen Because of Nvidia driver

Hi
I have the same plroblem
I have Sony Notebook VGN-SZ433N with Nvidia Geforce Go 7400
It comes with Windows Vista Built in. I installed a clean new original copy of Windows 7 bought recently.
I found out that it couldnt recognize the Nvidia driver. I tried to download and install updated one, but as mentioned above, it couldnt recognize the windows, while it was created for vista and 7 !!
Windows crashes giving blue screen whenever i try to play any video or even a normal game.

Back