Windows 8 Non Standard User Profile - Unable to Sign In to Store - Apps Do Not Work

PC Pilot

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on troubleshooting the following issue!:)

To explain, Windows 8 Pro (X64) was installed by way of a clean install utilising audit mode to configure the User Profile folder location to a new partition on a secondary drive (D:\Users). The 'main' user profile (the one with the issue) was then further configured using the profile list keys within registry to place the 'Main' at the root of D: (e.g. "D:\Main") a location used since the release of Windows XP. Individual folders within this profile have been further customized using the 'location' tab (e.g. "D:\Main\Filing Cabinet\Main Documents" etc.) though this is probably not relevant!

Additionally, directory junctions have been created (mklink /j) in respect of D:\Main with D:\Users........and although probably not necessary D:\Main with C:\Users

The current situation can be summarised as follows:

1. All user accounts are assigned 'administrator' privileges

2. User profiles created under the D:\ partition (e.g. "D:\Users\Secondary" etc.) function normally with Store sign in and working Modern (Metro) Apps

3. The "D:\Main" profile functions correctly except for Store sign in and functioning Modern (Metro) Apps.

4. Attempts to sign in to the store using an MS account fails with a self returning sign in loop.

5. Attempts to bypass and download (free) Apps continually fail with the message "Something Happened and this app couldn't be installed").

6. Attempts to use any metro app results in a return loop back to the tile icon from full screen icon version without opening the app.

Can any wiser heads point out what I might have overlooked and suggest how to resolve this whilst preserving the cherished user as the "D:" root??:confused:

Many thanks in advance,

PC Pilot

Hi,

I'n unsure if this will help any but have you 'synced' your pc or made sure it's trusted under your Microsoft account? Try clicking on the Charm 'settings' followed by 'Change PC settings'. Open up you User tab and make sure the pc is trusted. I'd also check under 'sync your settings' as well.
Post back if you need further help.

Hi,

I'n unsure if this will help any but have you 'synced' your pc or made sure it's trusted under your Microsoft account? Try clicking on the Charm 'settings' followed by 'Change PC settings'. Open up you User tab and make sure the pc is trusted. I'd also check under 'sync your settings' as well.
Post back if you need further help.

Hi kemical, and thanks for replying:)

I have not synced the PC as it is currently a Standalone unit. I can confirm that I have indeed made it 'Trusted' by switching the 'Local' account to my "MS Account" and undertaking those steps including confirmation of same!

I have spent a little time doing a little more experimenting and created a new profile 'Test' in the default location of D:\Users\Test

The Following Applies:

1. All aspects function as expected

2. Signed out and signed into administrator account.

3. Following

4. Now Copied "Test" folder and contents from D:\Users\Test to "D:\Test"

5. Using the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList - ProfileImagePath" registry key modified the Path for the "Test" profile from "D:\Users\Test" to "D:\Test"

6. Signed back into Test Profile and verified the location of the "Shell Folders" was "D:\Test\Documents" etc.

7. Created directory junction (mklink) between "D:\Test" & "D:\Users\Test"

8. Tried the Metro Apps....same symptoms as before with "Main" profile, unable to use, download or install any apps and unable to sign in to the store.

Hope this narrows things down to just some aspect of the path change being responsible for the issue

PC Pilot

Back