Windows 7 Not able to get a Windows Experience Index

sweetviralfever

I got offical genuine version of Windows 7 Professional x64.
I have it completely updated, but whenever I try to find out what my WEI score is, it gives me errors
sometimes it says "Video Performance could not be examined" while sometimes it says "there was an error in operating system/hardware/driver

Could someone please help, is the video card of my computer bad?

thanks

Is your video driver updated from the manufacturer's site? They frequently have newer and better drivers than windows update.
Joe

I tried updating all the drivers, and you are right, I was able to get my video driver updated, but now I get the following error
"The Windows Experience Index for your system could not be computed"
Cannot complete assesment.
The assesment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, drive, or other component

and yes, its a legal copy.
Its loaded onto a brand new computer that I built with Core i7 860, 4 GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4670 1 GB GDDR3 video car

please help
thank you

run event viewer and look at the administrator logs for tips

when i updated my video drivers it didn't put the new drivers in the \system32\drivers folder.. it just left it in the
FileRepository folder I searched Windows and noticed the date of the file that was noted in the administrator log was older and a different size.. i manually moved it and now win 7 uses it.

I don't think these hardware vendors have caught up and there may be windows file restriction that are blocking their upgrades

I tried updating all the drivers, and you are right, I was able to get my video driver updated, but now I get the following error
The assesment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, drive, or other component

Its loaded onto a brand new computer that I built with Core i7 860, 4 GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4670 1 GB GDDR3 video car

please help
thank you

Hi sweet,
you just built the system yes? I just wondered if you had the correct bios running? Just because it's new doesn't mean it will have the latest version uploaded..
Same for your drivers.. Did you get the latest versions or did you install the ones supplied with the hardware?

when i updated my video drivers it didn't put the new drivers in the \system32\drivers folder.. it just left it in the
FileRepository folder I searched Windows and noticed the date of the file that was noted in the administrator log was older and a different size.. i manually moved it and now win 7 uses it.

I don't think these hardware vendors have caught up and there may be windows file restriction that are blocking their upgrades

could you explain this in more detail, i looked at event viewer, but wasnt able to get what you are trying to say, where would my driver be sitting if not in systems folder?
sorry for being a pain, but explaining it in detail would be highly helpful
thank you

Hi sweet,
you just built the system yes? I just wondered if you had the correct bios running? Just because it's new doesn't mean it will have the latest version uploaded..
Same for your drivers.. Did you get the latest versions or did you install the ones supplied with the hardware?

I just have everything that the hardware parts came with for everything but the video card, i updated that driver.
I know my bios is old, but how do I update that?
thanks

You'll need to visit the motherboard makers web site and they should have a download as well as instructions on how to go about it. If you've never updated the bios then it will almost certainly need doing..
If you post the name of your motherboard I'll find the update for you..:D

Also, it sounds from what you wrote that you haven't installed any other drivers other than the graphic set? If this is the case, then you need to install the latest versions of the ones needed for chipset, sound and anything else that's needed..
Again, if you list what you have I'll point you in the right direction..

Last edited:
Here is something else you can do (for us).
Open Msconfig and the boot tab.
Tick the Boot log tab.
Restart the computer and then look in the Windows directory for a file named. ntblog.txt.
Post up here a copy of the file or its contents.

Here is something else you can do (for us).
Open Msconfig and the boot tab.
Tick the Boot log tab.
Restart the computer and then look in the Windows directory for a file named. ntblog.txt.
Post up here a copy of the file or its contents.

Good thinking
grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was checking my device manager and under the video drivers I told it to update then set \windows as the target to look for newer drivers and to include subfolders.... and it found even more missing parts that the vendor's install had not installed.

please help
thank you

I has the same problems at first time (I plugged PC to 40" LCD TV DVI to HDMI) and install Win 7 and then it didnt work with WEI and the bootup screen logo cos I found it was the display size MS may have limited on Win 7 so I changed to DVI-I dual link to VGA and then reformat/reinstall again then it got it back all of it - I spend 2 days to work it out and seem MS put add something in Win 7 - if large display size then you wont get Win 7 boot up screen as it recommend at 1024x720 then automatic display size after log-on or Welcome that would work fine in WEI. MS only recommend 1024x720 for bootup and any size after Welcome page (depend from either tv/monitor or graphic card) -- my PC boot up - 1024/724 and then change to 1920x1080 after log-in... it may have limited on display size by MS

Windows Experiece Index Problems

I have installed both 32bit and 64bit versions on my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop.
I get a score of 4.7 under the 32bit version but in the 64bit version it fails to complete.
I have downloaded the latest version of the nVidia drivers from their website for both OSs.
Other sites suggest that Kaperski AV causes a problem but when I switch it off it makes no difference.
Still get a message saying that it "cannot complete assessment" for some unhelpful range of possible reasons.
It isn't a show stopper just annoying.

Back