Windows 7 Not all files shared on a shared partition

WightWalker

I have a seperate partition for MP3 files which I've set up to be shared but not all folders within that partition are shown as shared.

The same is true for the partition that I use for data files.

Yet on another partition ALL folders are shown as shared - I don't understand.

Is it me or has Windows 7 made things worse - I didn't have these problems with XP.

Not sure if this will help, but if I'm reading this correctly, it would seem that your ntfs permissions (under security tab) have not cascaded down.
Try this
At the root of the share, right click choose properties, under security tab click the advanced button. Now bottom left click change permissions, at the bottom uncheck Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent when prompted choose the add button. Now make sure that all your users are in there with the permissions you intend, if not select and edit them as you need. Now check the box that says Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.
Hope this helps
Regards
Randy

I have a seperate partition for MP3 files which I've set up to be shared but not all folders within that partition are shown as shared.

The same is true for the partition that I use for data files.

Yet on another partition ALL folders are shown as shared - I don't understand.

Is it me or has Windows 7 made things worse - I didn't have these problems with XP.

I've been hearing this a lot recently, and I can only assume that when you had XP installed that perhaps it was on a FAT Volume (probably fat32) and in that case all you got was "Share Permission" no secuity tab and no "NTFS Permissions" If XP was installed on an ntfs volume then everything would be the same basically as it is now.
Hope this explains a little
Regards
Randy

I looked at the security properties for the Partition that worked & its was designated as 'Everyone' - 'Authenticated Users' NOT present.

On the Partitions that didn't work, it was set to 'Authenticated Users' - 'Everyone' NOT present - clicked on Add & selected 'Everyone' and it now works.

What's puzzling is why should 1 partition contain 'Everyone' and the others 'Authenticated Users' - what is an 'Authenticated Users'.

I looked at the security properties for the Partition that worked & its was designated as 'Everyone' - 'Authenticated Users' NOT present.

On the Partitions that didn't work, it was set to 'Authenticated Users' - 'Everyone' NOT present - clicked on Add & selected 'Everyone' and it now works.

What's puzzling is why should 1 partition contain 'Everyone' and the others 'Authenticated Users' - what is an 'Authenticated Users'.

An "authenticated users" in most instances would pertain to anyone who has a username and password and can log on to your computer locally and or "Authenticate" to it across the network (basically same thing username and password). You shouldn't have to resort to the everyone group, in fact I usually remove it from all my shares. It would seem that you have some group memebership conflicts, where in one of your users is a member of multiple groups. Examine his group memberships and adjust accordingly. If you are using the local administrator acccount then, My local administrator which I have renamed (always a good idea) is only a member of the "administrators group", perhaps your local administrator account or the account name that you are using in this particular case is also a member of another groups for instance "users" which may have more restricted permissions. You have to remember that share permissions impact what users are allowed to access across the network, while ntfs permissions (under the security tab) effect what users can get into with a local logon, when they are combined which they always are in a situation like yours, the most restrictive permissions apply to all members of all groups as you've set them. Read this it was created way back in the NT4 days but still applies and is a good guide to help you get your head around how sharing is actually done Link Removed - Invalid URL
Hope this helps and good luck
Randy

I Think I may have Solved my Local Network Problem

Thanks Trouble for you explicit response.

I've recently moved to Windows 7 having avoided Vista, so security along these lines is something kinda alien to me - I remember when Windows NT (& 2000) was installed on PCs at work & hated the way it would restrict you from doing things.

My XP network was fine but having installed Windows 7 on the Desktop & the purchase of a new Windows 7 Laptop, I've had no end of trouble trying to set up a local network to the point of dispair - don't understand how uSoft can lay claims to it being easier.

Having set Security on the partitions on both the Desktop & Laptop to 'Everyone', for those that I want to Share, I now see the 'Shared' symbol against the folders & their respective files (the Laptop security was set to 'Authenticated User' on all partitions). I still couldn't establish a local network connection between the Desktop & Laptop - worked the other way.

Read the bit about network security & user partition (gets kinda complicated) and set the shared partitions to allow full access to 'Everybody'.

Forgot that a reinstall of KIS 2010 had resulted in the Firewall settings for the network to Public - changed this to Trusted & now have two way communication between Desktop & Laptop and visa versa.

Maybe it's not the most secure way to have achieved this but for the moment I'm just relieved to have got it working.

I'm nothing like an IT guru but have a reasonable understanding (basic when it comes to networks) of PC architecture & am prepared to research the 'net etc to resolve problems but I wonder how the more basic user is expected to cope with setting up a local network - the uSoft videos make it look so simple but I couldn't even get the Desktop to talk to the Laptop using Workgroups.

Judging by the number of posts from users elsewhere in this forum getting messages like 'Network error - Windows cannot access \\MyDesktopPC\\ (or whatever), it's a problem for a lot of users.

So thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Glad to have been some small help. Please hang around, share your experiences and maybe it will help some others.

Back