Windows 7 Not Detecting Sound Card

MikeD

I just installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (the official RTM release that comes out in October) and everything works fine except for the sound.

From what I can tell, Windows 7 does not detect that I have any sound card. The device manager doesn't show anything present.

I know a lot of people have had similar problems that were solved just by getting the appropriate drivers, but I can't install drivers if there is no hardware to install to (I downloaded the drivers and they don't work if the computer doesn’t think there’s a sound card there).

I'm running an HP Pavillion a6614f, and the HP website gives the following description for the sound card:
"High Definition 8-channel audio... ALC 888S chipset"

If anyone has any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.

I think Mike is having the same problem I have. Even if I install a driver it wont do anything because Windows 7 won't detect that I have a sound card.
At the bottom right corner where it shows the sound properties it says "No Audio Output Device Is Installed" when you double click on it it ill try to troubleshoot the problem but it doesn't help.

If I use DXDiag and click on Audio at the bottom it says
"No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."

And then I get back to the beginning where no matter what driver I try to install from Realtek I still get nothing.

On Windows XP if I use DXDiag and click on sound it says Realtek HD Audio Output at the top and it works fine in XP.

I just installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (the official RTM release that comes out in October) and everything works fine except for the sound.

From what I can tell, Windows 7 does not detect that I have any sound card. The device manager doesn't show anything present..

Windows 7 must have some sound card problems. My sound works but Driver Genius said the drivers were outdated so I updated them and windows still doesn't like them.

Click "Start" and type "v" and click "Event Viewer" and look at the Administrator logs under "Custom Views" You may fine entries about your sound card (or sound drivers) timing out.... or get some clues about what's going on.

HP have also got a 7 driver update manager which might help: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom