Windows 7 Not recognizing RAM

riot507

Hi guys,
First post. I just updated my memory from 2.5gb (2x1gb 1x512mb) to 4 gbs (2x2gb) of RAM. Oddly after doing the update, my BIOS recognizes it as 4gb but windows 7 still thinks i have 2.5gb. Ubuntu recognizes that I have 4gb of ram also. Im currently running windows 7 64bit. Any help on how to update it would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Anthony

Solution
Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums...

Not to worry, as long as your BIOS is recognizing the full 4GB's you should be good to go.. Windows 7 addresse's/distributes memory a little bit differently then Windows XP and Vista.. that is why it's only showing up as 2.5GB's.. Meaning there's really nothing to "fix" persay.. The memory is there, it's just being used by other components.. (ei: video card, sound card, etc..)..

If you open the start menu and type the following: msinfo32 Then hit enter, a report will come back and you will see exactly how your memory is distributed.. If on this screen it does not say that you have a total of 4GB's "Installed Physical Memory" then there may be a problem.. but...
Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums...

Not to worry, as long as your BIOS is recognizing the full 4GB's you should be good to go.. Windows 7 addresse's/distributes memory a little bit differently then Windows XP and Vista.. that is why it's only showing up as 2.5GB's.. Meaning there's really nothing to "fix" persay.. The memory is there, it's just being used by other components.. (ei: video card, sound card, etc..)..

If you open the start menu and type the following: msinfo32 Then hit enter, a report will come back and you will see exactly how your memory is distributed.. If on this screen it does not say that you have a total of 4GB's "Installed Physical Memory" then there may be a problem.. but from what you said it sounds like windows 7 is just doing what it's programmed to do..

Last edited:
Solution
lol, I'm running 7100 and system properties shows I have no ram installed, it's just blank.
I guess some leet computer haxors have stolen my ram.