Lawrence_P

I have got Ubuntu installed on Disk 0, XP (C:) on 80GB partition, DATA (F:) on 287GB and new WIN7 (E:) 97GB partition (all NTFS) on Disk 1 and I'm trying to install Windows 7 RC in this new WIN7 partition

1. restarted PC with Win 7 DVD
  2. followed instructions on Install Windows page
  3. “get important updates for installationâ€Â￾ has not popped up ?????
  4. accepted terms and conditions
  5. selected custom (advanced)
  6. select E:
  7. clicked next
  8. pops up with warning: â€Â￾ Set up was unable to create new system partition or locate an existing partition. See the Setup log files for more infoâ€Â￾
XP can access drive E: without any problem, the same Ubuntu and many other Linux distributions. What’s wrong?

Hello,
As I wanted to install Windows 7 in a new NTFS partition I followed Step 3 Point 1 which says: "... you want to install RC on another disk partition, restart your computer with the installation disc in your DVD drive ..." I always ended up this the error: â€Â￾ Set up was unable to create new system partition or locate an existing partition. See the Setup log files for more infoâ€Â￾.
When I started the installation under XP than I could follow up all the points after 1 from step 3 without any problems.
Good luck with all installations on specially prepared partitions.
Regards
Lawrence

Last edited:
It seems like you are encountering an issue during the installation of Windows 7 RC on a new partition. The error message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition" typically arises due to various reasons such as partition configuration, disk format, or the boot environment. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot this problem:

### Steps to Resolve the Issue:

1. Check Disk Format Compatibility:
- Ensure that the new partition where you want to install Windows 7 RC is formatted as NTFS, as Windows installations require NTFS-formatted partitions.

2. Partition Configuration:
- Verify that the partition intended for Windows 7 RC installation is set as a primary partition and not an extended or logical partition.

3. Boot from Windows 7 DVD:
- Make sure you are booting from the Windows 7 installation DVD to perform a clean installation on the target partition.

4. Partition Selection:
- During the installation process, when prompted to select a partition, try deleting the existing partition (make sure to back up any important data) and then creating a new partition for the installation.

5. Boot Configuration:
- Ensure that the boot environment is set up correctly. Sometimes, issues can arise if the boot configuration is not compatible with the new installation.

6. AHCI/RAID Settings:
- If you are using AHCI or RAID settings in your BIOS, try switching between the different modes to see if that resolves the partition creation issue.

7. Remove Other Drives:
- Temporarily disconnect other drives to avoid any conflicts during the installation process. This can sometimes help resolve partitioning issues.

### Additional Suggestions:
  • Double-check the Windows 7 RC DVD for any scratches or damage that could be causing read errors during the installation process.
  • Update your BIOS to the latest version to ensure compatibility with the Windows 7 installation.

Try these steps and see if they help resolve the issue you are facing during the Windows 7 RC installation. If the problem persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance. Good luck with your installations!

Back