Windows 7 Numerous updates failed

jsampson1945

Until now I did not know that Windows 7 keeps a record of successful and failed updates. I see that many updates have failed in the past although there was no indication of this at the time. Should I be worried? I should think it would take many hours to fix them all, time I do not have.

Regards

_John Sampson_

If you really have not the time then I wouldn't worry too much. Many updates tend to be cumulative as are Service Packs. If ou haven't already done so I always recommend setting the updates to advise you of availability but to manually download and install. That way you have better control over what is happening and what might be failing. In particular I always reject optional driver updates preferring to manually check for them occasionally on manufacturers' sites.

Last edited:
Also, it may only take as much time as it takes to shutdown or change some settings in and Anti-virus program, or possibly a third party firewall.

Also, it may only take as much time as it takes to shutdown or change some settings in and Anti-virus program, or possibly a third party firewall.

What does this do? Current updates have been successful but old ones, presumably no longer available, failed.

It means some anti-virus programs can interfere with the downloading and installing of Windows Updates. If you are no longer seeing failed ones, perhaps you got an update or changed some setting to allow them to work, if that had been a problem.

Certain updates require reboots and the anti-virus can interfere with this process if it has a scanning capability during these times.

Many updates that show failed will be installed later, so they may all already be installed, or as Pat says, superseded by others.

I suppose the point is, if you continue to see failures in the installs, you may want to find out why.

Back