Windows 8 Odd Box of Distortion in Top Right of Screen

RetroRampage

Another problem that happened when I upgraded to windows 8/8.1
What happens, is if I'm watching a video, or playing a game, that little box of distortion appears, and slowly moves up, until it goes away completely.. Then it appears about 5 minutes later. As you can imagine, this gets PRETTY annoying, especially when trying to play an immersive game such as skyrim. It looks ugly, and it rips you right out of the game.

Its been happening for so long, but now I finally decided to get some help. I have looked EVERYWHERE, but I never found someone with the answers I needed.
Thanks in advance!

COMPUTER SPECS:
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
ManufacturerIntel
Speed3.4 GHz
Number of Cores4
Video CardAMD Radeon HD 6670
ManufacturerATI
ChipsetAMD Radeon HD 6670
Dedicated Memory1.0 GB
Total Memory4.0 GB
Memory8.2 GB
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit
Service Pack0
Size64 Bit
EditionBasic
Display Maximum Resolution1360 x 768
DVDhp DVD-RAM SW820
CDhp DVD-RAM SW820
Drive 1
Size911.9 GB
Free436.3 GB
Drive 2
Size17.8 GB
Free2.2 GB

Hi Retro,
are you running anything in particular in the background whilst playing?

Have you tried changing drivers and/or resolution?

Did the appearance of the box coincide with anything like a new bit of hardware or software?

What are your temps like?

You say it happened after upgrading to win 8/8.1, have you tried re-installing what was running before and seeing if the effect still persists?

The only things running in the background would be steam, skype, and anything else(like antivirus and such)

And yes, I have tried updating drivers, uninstalling/re-installing the drivers, and the effect happens no matter what resolution I'm using.

And, nope. I recently got a new graphics card, but that is not what caused it, this effect started after I upgraded to 8.1

The temps are fine, nothing too high

and I can't risk re-installing it, I have nothing to back up my files to.

Ok what about the monitor. Can you post the make and model please..

I'm using a Tobisha 26AV500U TV as my monitor (I don't have access to a normal monitor). I'm also using an VGA cord to connect my PC to my TV, because when I use HDMI, it looks really ugly, and has a bit of input lag.

Hmmm...... tricky.. Have you tried changing settings on the actual TV? Oh, I know you mentioned about HDMI looking awful but is the box still there?

Okay, so I used HDMI for a day, and the distortion is gone.. The only problem is that now, my screen looks like garbage.
This is a really odd problem.. I use VGA, I get that odd distortion.. When I use HDMI, the screen looks really ugly.

Could it be the VGA lead perhaps? Do you have another you could use or try?

Does the TV have more than one port (vga or HDMI)? If so try switching. Also can you post a screenshot of how it looks under HDMI as we might be able to offer advice....

Back