Windows 7 Ok - so whats it really like?

qavorq

Honorable Member
Hi folk just thought Id drop in and say hi. Im new to Windows 7 (but definatley not new to computers). Not sure if this is the right place to put this - but here goes. I thought Id just give my first impressions of 7. After having a lot of trouble getting it to download (it didnt want to know over the weekend), the installation was quick and painless. It saw my home network straight off even without actually putting it into the same workgroup. I first installed it on an old pc running an AMD Sempron at 1.6 with 3/4 gig of ram and onboard graphics. I was pleasantly surprised to find it ran first time no hitches. Only issues I have with it are no sound and the solitaire ran soooo slow. I think I can solve the sound issue - but I'll post up on the forums if I cant.
Ive also now installed it as a dual boot on my main system (with XP) running an Intel Pentium D 3Ghz dual core with 2Gig ram and an Nvidia 8600 graphic card. Had same issue with the sound on this one but that was solved by downloading the new drivers from Realtek.
It is a LOT faster than vista ever ran on this pc and is even beginning to put XP to shame - which is not only a pleasant surprise but most welcome :) Ive tried running an old game - Starcraft - on the slower pc and it ran no problems. Havent yet installed any software on this one (my main pc). I shall get around to installing my 3d graphic software soon agive it a whirl - see how it performs.
So having rambled on about my first thoughts on it. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Anything that is worth looking at in particular? Any know hitches to avoid?

Thanks in advance for the future help :) :)

Antony

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Would advise you to take a look at the software section on this forum . Lots of advice to be found on what is safe to install and what is not :)
Good luck and enjoy the forum :D

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

There aren't really any major problems you need to worry about, most have already been ironed out.. ;) The only thing I'd "worry" about is making sure all your drivers are going to work, but from the sounds of it, you've already done that.. :) Enjoy Windows 7, it is truly a gem of an OS.. Can't wait for October 22nd for the release of the final retail version..

The only thing I'd say is don't get caught up in the "need" to download all these interim builds being leaked.. They offer nothing more than the RC (at most a few bug fixes but no drastic changes at all). To me it's a waste of time and bandwidth downloading them. The RC works perfectly fine... Don't feel like your missing out by not downloading them because your definitely NOT missing out on anything..

That is the truly remarkable thing about windows 7 how holistic it is :D
Few people that have given windows 7 a good try have anything but praise for the OS .
Compare that to Vista it is a big turn around :D

Oh and it is not as yet even in the shops ! Comparing Vista in its early days to windows 7 - the change is remarkable .

The system as a whole determines in an important way how the parts behave.

I agree Whoosh that in comparison to Vista Win 7 is indeed a BIG turnaround but I think people need to stop comparing it to Vista so much, It's truly a remarkable OS in and of itself.. ;) Even without Vista it's still GREAT.. :) Paul Thurrot has said it best so far I think, He said it's the next Windows NT.. It's THAT good.. :)

I agree Whoosh that in comparison to Vista Win 7 is indeed a BIG turnaround but I think people need to stop comparing it to Vista so much, It's truly a remarkable OS in and of itself.. ;) Even without Vista it's still GREAT.. :) Paul Thurrot has said it best so far I think, He said it's the next Windows NT.. It's THAT good.. :)

Yes and not even in the shops . That is remarkable ! :D

Truly,, I only hope they continue this trend with Windows Midori.. ;)

I must admit to worries perhaps without foundation as to Midori . The way it will pan out etc .
Not sure as yet if Midori is a good or bad idea . Guess only time will tell :D

Thanks guys for both the welcome and the update on 7s current good views. Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll see if I can get to better grips with it. One issue I have come up with is WOW (World of Warcraft). Ive been able to install it but had problems both in running it and updating it. But its early days yet and I havent even begun to investigate causes as yet.

There are sections of this forum dealing with the issues you mention . Go have a look see may find the anwer :D

Back