Windows 7 Old Taskbar Notification - Removal

pRey

I have installed and removed a few programs on Win 7 ...

each of these still appear on my taskbar notification area (where I can choose to show icons or not)

How do I remove these?

If they're showing up in the tray area, the uninstaller did not do a good job.

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, then click the startup tab.

You can remove everything except for your anti-virus, spyware detector and personal firewall.

I would;d suggest you download this free uninstaller which does a better job than the original uninstall program

It's called RevoUninstaller:

Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

Problem..

what I want to remove is the Twx program Ive talked about in the other thread (Application Error after Error...)

Its does not actually have an Install procedure.
So there was not an Uninstall.

I just unzip and start the program.. it has a taskbar icon appear.

After I delete the program.. There is still the - choice - there of me hiding/showing the icon.

Each time I tried different directories with that program.. I have a new "choice" in my notifications area. So.. I have 4 or 5 there that I can remove.

I hope that makes sense.

Also.. its not a - startup - program. So nothing in the starup section to uncheck or delete.

Let me ask another question...

Are you talking about the tray area next to the Time?

And do you have icons such as your anti-virus software or spyware detector?

I have never heard of a program with no install that can create it's own icon in that particular area.

And in addition to being called reghakr, some friends call me The Mad Downloader.

I install (and uninstall) several programs each and every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, the area beside the time. ;)

I click the up arrow (type thing), hit customize and I have 6 instances of TwxProxy.exe and a choice beside each to show icons or not.

No install for this program.. but when I start it up there is a tray icon. Each copy of this program I have on my computer creates a new instance of the icon. (If I play multiple games, I use multiple copies of this program)

yes, the area beside the time. ;)

I click the up arrow (type thing), hit customize and I have 6 instances of TwxProxy.exe and a choice beside each to show icons or not.

No install for this program.. but when I start it up there is a tray icon. Each copy of this program I have on my computer creates a new instance of the icon. (If I play multiple games, I use multiple copies of this program)
Sounds like there are just several non responsive programs running. Check the process tab in task manager. Ctrl+Shift+Esc

This is very strange.

I've never heard of this program, but it's name alone indicates it makes some sort of Internet connection.

Try going to Start > Run, and type services.msc and look through the list for anything related to this twproxy program

Yes, I did post a solution in that thread.

Are we talking about this program:

Install Guide

If it uses telnet, telnet is not installed by default on Windows 7.

Im not sure what Goth is.. but yes, TwxProxy (Link Removed - Invalid URL)

I dont use the old windows telnet program.
I use ZOC, which is basically a big telnet program.

From the page you referenced:
------------------------------------------------
Now unzip TWX as it does not have an installer. The directory you choose does not matter but in this example we will use C:\TWX. When you are finished proceed to the next step.
-------------------------------------------------

No installer for Twx. Wish there was.. Win 7 might treat it better.

OK,

I've download the file (v2.30) and will run it on Windows 7 32-bit and capture what changes are made to the system.

I looked at the internals contents of the TWXProxy.exe and TWXC.exe and there is a setup section in each of these files.

Just for kicks, try opening Internet explorer and click the connections tab, then the LAN Settings button and let me know what's listed (if anything)

What are you using to look inside TWX.exe??

Btw.. dont worry about TwxC.exe, It only used when making your own scripts. Really doesnt have anything to do with the execution of the program.

LAN settings are:
Checked - Automatically detect settings

the rest is unchecked... no proxy there.

Also I dont use IE, dont know if that matter for what you are asking for.

I'm using a program called Resource Hacker which allows you to view and/or edit the resources contained within .exe's and .dll's

OK, I just enabled the telnet client and ran the program.

The first screen that appears it titled "Setup"

Under the Auto Run tab, did you remove all scripts before you deleted the program itself?

Yes there is a Setup in that respect.

The setup is -- you telling the program which game server to connect to and entering your game name and password.

Not an actual 'installer' of the Twx program. Like most other programs have an install system. I dont think anyways.

As far as removing the scripts from the auto tab.. yes in all cases except 1.

Ive tested it though.

I can copy the twx folder.. and run the new twx.exe.. and it will create a new entry in the taskbar.

I would put up with 100 entried in task bar if I could get program not to shut down.

Yes, I understand what the Setup means. That's what made me curious that the program actually did do an install when I looked at the resources in Resource hacker.

There were 58,391 registry entries added/modified which about 58,389 related to installing Windows 7 telnet client.

The only changes made by this program was it added a entry under c:\users\jim\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\scripts.lnk, which is pointless.

It just states that when I ran the program I tried loading a script.

It created two folder under the folder where I placed the files which was E:\TWXProxy

1. data
2. logs

How about this telnet program you're using. Have you automated it to run with the TWXProxy program?

When you right-click on one of these icons in the tray, what happens?

been up far too long, nodding off, have to post back tomorrow.

Zoc, my telnet program, I just put in an entry in the menu to connect to 127.0.0.1 (and port of whatever)

Nothing really else to it to make it work with TWX.

When I right click on Twx icon in tray... the usual options appear (connect or disconnect), load script, stop script, view, data, help, setup and exit.

Sorry for the delayed response,

This program is really a nuisance.

when you right-click on the icons and choose close for each and every entry, when does the icon appear again.

It makes no sense that if the icon embedded in TWXProxy.exe program which you deleted, where is it getting the icon from?

We're in so deep know, do you happen to have a restore point you could go back to?

No restore point.. wont be a problem to reinstall if needed though.

There has to be a way to get rid of icons though, like you said.. the icon is coming from somewhere.

thanks ;)

The tray icon is embedded in the TWXProx.exe file.

Just take a look at that file and you'll see what I mean.

You didn't answer my previous question::

When you right-click on the icons and choose close for each and every entry, when does the icon appear again.

Back