Windows 7 On and off black screen after sleep

It's all still the same! BUT, we took it to geek squad yesterday, after a few minutes the guy put the computer to sleep and woke it up and put it to sleep and woke it up etc. with the power button. IT WORKED! But when we got home it went back to the black screen :zoned:! He said if you press the power button it will put the computer to sleep. I tried but it didn't work, either I forgot how he did it or it's not working. Also, it's a Sony VAIO VGC-JS410F, just in case that helps.

I mis read it. I thought he was able to get in after the reboot. This could likely be an issue with thr monitor. If you can make a bootable linux usb on someone elses computer and try to boot into that if it works then Windows is most likely corrupt. If you get the same issue then its a bad display
I mean I CAN get into Windows but it's completely dark! I have to use a flash light to see the screen. At certain points/certain loading screens, the screen will come fully lit, then go out again. So it seems there's something that just won't get it to stay lit.

IMHO you have a bad monitor, or a bad or loose cable to the monitor. Make sure the cables are connected and not loose to the monitor. Wiggle the cables and see it the monitor comes on. You can program the power button to put your PC to sleep or shut down it down. Thanks for your reply!
PS Did the repair tech use a different power cord to the monitor??Do you have this?
Capture48.JPG

Last edited:
IMHO you have a bad monitor, or a bad or loose cable to the monitor. Make sure the cables are connected and not loose to the monitor. Wiggle the cables and see it the monitor comes on. You can program the power button to put your PC to sleep or shut down it down. Thanks for your reply!
PS Did the repair tech use a different power cord to the monitor??Do you have this?
View attachment 32199
Yes I have that. He used the same cord.

It seems I have to pull every little thing from, you! Did the geek squad use a different one and have you checked to see if your cables are securely connected. This could very well be your problem. The monitor is not getting enough power. Please check these cables. You said once they were behind some furniture. I suggest you move the furniture and check these cables and also where it plugs into your all in one PC.
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking I'm wanting to fix this issue more then you do.:rofl:

If the screen is dark but you can see the graphics with a flash light, then your problem is a failing inverter this is what illuminates the screen. This is entirely a hardware problem. It's a medium difficult repair. Geek squad would send it out one of their service centers but they are not very good with hardware repairs. The repair would involve disassembling the screen and the inverter generally sit underneath the screen.

Hi! @Neemobeer ! What I'm wondering is why the Geek squad didn't inform the OP these things. I hear what you're saying about the inverter. Is it possible that the monitor worked while in the shop and quit working when the OP brought the PC home. I have heard that low voltages can also cause this problem. It might be worth another visit to the Geek squad to have the power adapter checked. That's why I asked the OP if the same power cable was used at the repair shop. I guess we need to wait for the OP to reply.
Thanks for joining me on this thread.;):applaud:
Quote from OP!
"Would it make a difference if I were to unplug it from the computer instead of the wall outlet (I would have to move furniture to get to it)"

Last edited:
Sorry! I thought yours was behind some furniture. I would have the Geek squad cheek it out . It's probably the inverter like @Neemobeer suggests. Thank you for your reply!

Hi urgent,

Looks like this could be an intermittent type of problem. Neemo most likely hit on the problem in Post #26 which is a very common problem with laptops. Since you mentioned your Sony is an All-in-one PC, it's kind of a hybrid between a desktop PC and a laptop. So, depending on how it's constructed, it may or may not have an Inverter, and that repair Neemo mentioned may not be applicable to your specific machine.

Having read over the thread and possible solutions, the one thing that's not clear is whether or not you are plugging in the AC Power Adapter directly to a 120VAC wall outlet or into a Surge Protector. If you are plugging in that Power Adapter to a Surge Protector such as this:
thYIKVLCJN.jpg

And your Surge Protector has failed on one or more outlets, you could get the appearance of a Sleep or Hibernation condition on your computer due to that failure. The easiest way to rule this out is to temporarily remove the Surge Protector from the wall outlet you have it plugged into, and plug your PC's power adapter DIRECTLY into the wall outlet and retest. If it works normally and your PC no longer goes to sleep, then your Surge Protector has failed and must be replaced. And you should replace it if it has failed, and it's a crucial protection to keep your computer from getting hit by a lightning strike from an electrical storm, thunderstorm, hurricane, or tornado. The cost is minimal--$10-$45 and is well worth the cost.;)

Should the problem persist after trying the above, it's possible you either live in an older home with no GFI (Ground Fault Interruption protection), and you have a problem with that particular outlet. An easy way to test this it to try another outlet in your home, preferably in a different room where you currently operate your computer, such as a kitchen, garage, or bedroom which is on a different breaker in your breaker panel. If the problem persists with other wall outlets in your home, it's quite likely you have a house wiring fault. There are cheap testers ($10) you can buy at your local hardware, computer, or radio shack stores that you can plug into your wall outlets that will give you a led display that will tell you if you indeed have a home wiring fault. Or you can call an Electrician in and pay to have him test it; as you will need a licensed Electrician to fix this problem anyway. They can test your outlets and tell you in 5 min. whether or not you have this particular problem. If you do, the Surge Protector is not your problem, but rather a ground fault in your house wiring.:hide:

Since we don't know what part of the country you live in, or even if you are outside the US, but if you are in Europe or the Eastern seaboard of the U.S., many homes can be 50 to hundreds of years old. GFI technology is installed in most homes and mobile homes built in the U.S. in the last 40 years or so (70s); if your home is older than 40 years, it's quite likely you don't have GFI, and there are other things that can be done--often up to and including very expensive whole home rewiring with an entirely new breaker panel!! If your home is newer than 40 years old and in the U.S., it's usually a fairly simple repair by an electrician, often the fault is just an broken receptacle, or breaker (fuse) and can be fixed in a couple of hours!:) GFI faults can often occur without a homeowner's knowledge, and can cause this exact type of problem. I've seen it many times over the years. Home computer users are often astonished by this problem, as they forget the power that comes into their home is the energy source that powers the computer; if that's not clean power or somehow faulty, your computer can and will display many what appear to be weird problems. A GFI problem could explain why your PC works at the Geek Squad repair bench but not at your home!! :sorrow:

In the situations where I correctly identified a GFI fault, and it was subsequently repaired by an Electrician the homeowner retained, and then plugged the computer back into the wall outlet (and subsequently into the Surge Protector which was then plugged into same wall outlet), everything worked normally!! :up:

If you pursue these steps and ensure you don't have a faulty Surge Protector or home wiring GFI fault, I suggest you return the computer to Best Buy for servicing.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Back