Windows 10 Opening one program crashes the other?

JoeMaynard

To save confusion, I'm going to refer to the two programs as X and Y. When I have program X running, it all works fine and I can open any program alongside it. However, if I try and open program Y while X is running, X crashes without warning or an error message and Y opens up as normal. I've reinstalled both programs, I still have the same issue. In event viewer, this is the message:

The program Y.exe version 1.2.3.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 1450
Start Time: 01d181de240c0fdf
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\(foldername)\(foldername)\Y.exe
Report Id: 697f73a9-edd1-11e5-9c26-1c872c606b52
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

You may have to do some deeper analysis on these processes and what happens when the crash occurs. I would suggest downloading Process Monitor: Process Monitor

Also make sure you're using the latest available version of the programs.

Set it to filter only process Y.exe and X.exe, then upload the log file here and we might be able to help.

I've installed it and filtered the two programs, and reproduced the crash. I checked the time that X.exe crashed, and it was exactly 10:45:14. I then filtered it to only X.exe, so I could see what is happening to the program. However, the next event after is only 10:45:19 and before is 10:43:38. I see an error FAST IO DISALLOWED, but most of the other results say SUCCESS. And the process name for some of these is svchost.exe, if that makes any sense.

Download this tool and install it. Download Debug Diagnostic Tool v1.2 from Official Microsoft Download Center.
  • Have the program open that crashes
  • Run Debug Diagnostic and select crash
  • Select "A specific process"
  • Select program x > Next
  • Under "Unconfigured First Chance Exceptions" change Action Type to Mini Userdump and the limit to 2
  • The rule name doesn't matter. Change the dump location to your desktop\<some folder>
  • Activate the rule > Finish

Now launch program Y. When X crashes it should generate a dmp file. Please upload this file or files here.

Back
Top Bottom