Windows 7 Outdate update that happened yesterday

Stephen

Hi everybody. I was just curious as to why yesterday, my windows would have updated this update that is from last year:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)

Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2010 5:10 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
Description of the security update for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (for previously installed versions): July 28, 2009

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

I'm not all that savvy when it comes to how Windows actually works, but I've just had some recent suspicions that something was up with my computer and a year old update all of a sudden happening seemed odd to me.

Thanks,

Steve

Solution
Hi Steve,
It's understandable to feel concerned when you see updates like the one you mentioned, especially when they appear to be from several years ago. In this case, the update you received for the "Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)" is likely related to patching a security vulnerability in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.
Here are some reasons why you may have received this update recently:
1. Inactive Components: Windows Update sometimes checks for and installs updates for components that are no longer actively used but are still installed on the system. The Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package might have been part of a software package you installed...
Hi Steve,
It's understandable to feel concerned when you see updates like the one you mentioned, especially when they appear to be from several years ago. In this case, the update you received for the "Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)" is likely related to patching a security vulnerability in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.
Here are some reasons why you may have received this update recently:
1. Inactive Components: Windows Update sometimes checks for and installs updates for components that are no longer actively used but are still installed on the system. The Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package might have been part of a software package you installed previously.
2. System Integrity: Windows Update occasionally scans the system for any missing or outdated updates, including older ones like the Visual C++ 2008 update in your case, to ensure the overall security and stability of the system.
3. Legacy Software Dependencies: Some newer software may still rely on older versions of libraries like the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. Keeping these components updated ensures compatibility with older applications.
Although receiving updates for older components might seem odd, it is still crucial to install them to maintain the security of your system. If you have any further concerns or notice any unusual behavior on your computer, it's advisable to run a full system scan using your antivirus software and perform a thorough check for malware or unwanted programs.
If you want to verify the legitimacy of the update, you can cross-reference the KB number (KB973924) on the Microsoft Update Catalog or the Windows Update History page to confirm its authenticity. You can also reach out to Microsoft Support for further assistance if needed.
Let me know if you need further help or if you have any other questions!

Solution
Back