Outlook 2007 is asking for password, while outlook 2010 does not

bochane

Excellent Member
We have 10 W7 PC's connecting to an outside Exchange server, 6 of them are using Outlook 2010 and are functioning like you expect, 4 of them are using Outlook 2007 and keep asking for a server password. That password is stored in the references, but for some reason it is not used or not working next time.

I noticed that Outlook 2010 is using different references from 2007, but adding the 2010 references in a 2007 PC does not help.

I have found on internet a variety of solutions, also from Microsoft, none of them helped, see:
- Password not remembered in Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 on Windows Vista or Windows 7 - MSOutlook.info
- https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/kb/290684?p=1

Those 6 Outlook 2010's which are working make me believe that it is an Outlook 2007 problem and not a fault in the exchange server neither a problem with some security setting.

Anyone an idea?

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've run into a similar problem with Outlook in a network before. Do any or all of the 4 PCs running Win7+Outlook2007 combo have Win7 Pro on them? If not, remember that if you are running an Exchange E-mail server or running the Exchanger server software on a Windows server such as Server2008 for example, domain requirements force your Client to run Win7 Pro--no other versions of Win7 retail software (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium) will work on a domain server enivonment which is needed for all Exchange server clients. The fact that Outlook2007 is asking for a password when connecting to the Exchange Server and Outlook2010 is not, leads me to the conclusion that not all of your 10 Win7 PCs are domain-capable. This problem caught me offguard 10+ years ago with Server2003 and Outlook2000/2003. Took me weeks to figure it out!

If the 6 PCs that are running the Outlook2010 without passwords all have Win7 Pro loaded, then that would substantiate my hypothesis. It's also important to make sure that the 4-Win7 PCs with Outlook2007 connecting asking for Passwords have SP1 loaded onto them regardless of which version of Win7 they are running. There are networking components for Server & Exchange that are fixed by SP1 that must be on ALL client machines.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi there,

I've run into a similar problem with Outlook in a network before. Do any or all of the 4 PCs running Win7+Outlook2007 combo have Win7 Pro on them? <<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
They are not all running Pro
If not, remember that if you are running an Exchange E-mail server or running the Exchanger server software on a Windows server such as Server2008 for example, domain requirements force your Client to run Win7 Pro--no other versions of Win7 retail software (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium) will work on a domain server enivonment which is needed for all Exchange server clients. The fact that Outlook2007 is asking for a password when connecting to the Exchange Server and Outlook2010 is not, leads me to the conclusion that not all of your 10 Win7 PCs are domain-capable. This problem caught me offguard 10+ years ago with Server2003 and Outlook2000/2003. Took me weeks to figure it out!<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
We are connecting to an external exchange server from a provider. All went well untill they chanced something. We went back to them, all they knew was that we had to renew the mail profiles, anything else could not have been caused by their change. I believe we have to go back to those guys, they have to explain a lot.

Passwords are stored by I think you call it the Credential manager (here in our language it is the reference manager...) accessed from the User account control screen. All passwords are stored there, also the Outlook2007 passwords, and they are the correct passwords.
If the 6 PCs that are running the Outlook2010 without passwords all have Win7 Pro loaded, then that would substantiate my hypothesis. It's also important to make sure that the 4-Win7 PCs with Outlook2007 connecting asking for Passwords have SP1 loaded onto them regardless of which version of Win7 they are running. There are networking components for Server & Exchange that are fixed by SP1 that must be on ALL client machines.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
I will check that again.

Your help was much appreciated, and I will report back.
Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom