Outlook Express has suddenly become intolerably sluggish

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by conceptualclarity, Nov 7, 2014.

  1. conceptualclarity

    conceptualclarity Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2014
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    It began late last week. Outlook Express takes a very long time to show its GUI at all, a long time after that to become responsive, and when it does become responsive it is intolerably slow. Prior to this Outlook Express has functioned very well for me. I greatly prefer it to Windows Live Mail and other email programs I have looked over.

    I traced it back, and this happened about the time I found an old download file for TuneUp Utilities by AVG. and installed it. It took me a long time to get every trace of TuneUp Utilities, but I finally have. Unfortunately Outlook Express is still showing unprecedented sluggishness.

    Any ideas for rescuing OE itself?



    Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
    2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
    Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
    Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
    Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
    - 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
    Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
    Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
    Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
    Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
    Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
    Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
    Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
    Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
    OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Build 2600 SP3
     
  2. bassfisher6522

    bassfisher6522 Essential Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    Messages:
    4,878
    Likes Received:
    317
  3. conceptualclarity

    conceptualclarity Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2014
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for that link, bassfisher6522.

    I went back and found that it happened on Halloween. It was the same day that I foolishly installed a trial of AVG's Tune Up Utlities, or whatever it was called. I spent a lot of time getting rid of every last file associated with Tune Up Utilities and AVG's Secure Search. After I found the last AVG driver and shredded it I finally got my Outlook Express back.
     

Share This Page

Loading...