Windows 7 Outlook not composing in HTML when sending a file by right-clicking it

cloggyjohn

Extraordinary Member
( Now Solved ) I've set up Outlook 2007 to compose new mails in HTML which works fine when using the New Mail button but when I try to send a file by right-clicking it and choosing Send to Mail Recipient it defaults to plain text and I have to manually select HTML in the Options tab on the ribbon. Does anybody know how to correct this ? ( I know I can just create a new mail and attach the file but right-clicking it is often easier ). Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Last edited:
John:
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
See you around the forum and Happy Holidays to you as well.
Randy

Hi Randy,

I was apparently a bit premature with my reply, it works fine with single files but if I select multiple files it only attaches the one which was right-clicked on. Any ideas ?

Cheers,

John

OK, I looked for a magic bullet to defeat this shortcoming based on the basic behavior of the Windows API (explorer / sendto.dll) that didn't involve any scripting and was unsuccessful. But;
This very easy script will help you do what you are looking to do.
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Just do what it says basically, copy and paste the script into notepad and save it as
Mail Recipient.vbs
Somewhere on your computer. I put mine in my "My Documents" folder.
Now all you need to do is open your send to folder
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
and create a new shortcut pointing to the script file
All I did was open my "My Documents" folder, used the right mouse button to drag the Mail Recipient.vbs file into my Send To folder, release it and chose "Create Shortcut Here"
You can pretty it up some by renaming it. I called mine Mail Recipient 2, and then you can right click it and choose properties, click the change Icon button and pick a different icon if you like.
Now you'll have another selection from the right click context menu which you can use to attach multiple files simultaneously in Outlook and it will preserve your default html mail format.
Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.
Randy

Re: [SOLVED] Outlook not composing in HTML when sending a file by right-clicking it

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
Hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Back