Outlook pst file corrupted

Discussion in 'Microsoft Products and Community' started by elizabethjames, Aug 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. elizabethjames

elizabethjames New Member

hello experts,
    here im using Microsoft outlook for mails while i am formatting my system i took a backup (.pst) file and now after configuration now while i import .pst file to my outlook it says an Error report (Given Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file) i used third party software to repair my pst backup and changed read write options none solved my problem
    Help!

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

3. Resoni

Resoni New Member

Use the Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors Outlook Data File.

richard0AT likes this.
  4. richard0AT

richard0AT New Member

If Inbox Repair software fails to repair Outlook PST file, then you can use a third party PST repair software to diagnose the error of Outlook. RecoveryFix for Outlook is a professional utility. It can help you.

5. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Hi,
    If your Outlook inbox AND folders together contained more than 5,000 messages or your total PST file size is too large such as more than 250MB or especially if it's over 1GB in size, most commercial products that you pay for still may not repair your PST file.:waah: These are inherent limits within Outlook that cannot be overcome by "fix-it" software. Another thing to consider is that if you are connecting to a business Exchange E-mail server say at your work or your University it's even more unlikely that these products can repair your PST file. If you are only using Outlook for your personal E-mail addresses, you don't have to worry about that problem, just the first ones I mentioned. There are companies out there that will charge into the thousands of dollars to repair a PST file that is connecting to an Exchange E-mail server, and even then the results are not all that great.

Hopefully, the Scanpst.exe file or one of the other utilities mentioned will help you. Most people often never look at the number of messages in their Outlook nor the size of the PST file itself and are completely unawares of these limitations. If your Outlook has exceeded any of these limitations I mention above, your results will be very limited and you may have to consider rebuilding your PST file from scratch.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.:(
    <<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

6. adomclick

adomclick New Member

7. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Again, OP has never come back to give us more information on her problem and it's been over 4 months. She's either solved the problem a different way, reinstalled Windows, bought a new computer, or given up! I suggest this thread be closed.

BBJ