Windows 7 Pale Moon and Safefox web browser alternatives to Firefox made only for Windows.

Andrea Borman

Honorable Member
Windows 7 is the best choice for buying a computer,whether it is your first computer,laptop,netbook or a new one. First of all Windows 7 is very user friendly and easy to use and you can personalize it in many ways. But the one thing you will want to do is find a good web browser. By default Windows 7 comes with Internet Explorer 8 or 9 for newer computers. But IE is very slow and crashes a lot even on the best network connections and not very customizable.Firefox is a good alternative browser to the horrible IE but the latest versions of Firefox have become slow. This is because Firefox although it is made compatible for Windows it is also made to be compatible for all systems.Mac,Lynax etc. The ealirer versions of Firefox 3.53 worked fine but now Mozilla have upgraded their browser to 3.610 it is now outdated and Firefox seems to be upgraded every month or two.But there are open source versions of Firefox that are made ONLY for Windows computers and these can be used on Windows Vista,Windows XP and Windows 7 and also other versions of Windows.One is Pale Moon web browser that is a Firefox open source but all the Firefox add ons work with this browser and it IS actually faster than Firefox but it can only be used on a Windows computer.As Pale Moon is made only for Windows but it is updated nearly as much as Firefox is. The latest version is Pale Moon 3.69.Pale Moon does not come in a beta version and I don't mind Mozilla Firefox but I dislike both Firefox and Flock beta because they are both bland and clones of Google Chrome browser. And as I already have both Chromium and Google Chrome Canary which is the open source shell of Chromium,I do not need Firefox beta. Chromium is a very fast browser as is Google chrome but some sites work better in Mozilla Firefox or Flock,so I still need these type of browsers.And I find that Pale Moon does work faster and better than Firefox which some times crashes.And in the future Mozilla may decide to discontinue both Mozilla Flock and Firefox and replace these with the beta versions. Which means I and other people who do not want beta will have to look for alternatives. But Pale Moon is the perfect alternative and also another browser that is not well known is Safefox,another Firefox open source.This takes on an earlier version of Firefox 3.52 but it is fully supported on all web sites. The only problem I had was finding a download link as the Safefox website re directs you to the Firefox website. But I got my Safefox browser from the C Net website that has a direct download link and may I add that that site has many web browsers listed for Windows users with direct and safe downloads from their site. I use C Net all the time to get new software for my laptop. Safefox has a password safe bank,so that when you log into your email or website,you can tap your password in on a keypad in the browser instead of the web page. So very useful if you are using a shared computer but you do not have to use this facility but it is there if you want it. Safefox like Pale Moon works with all of the Firefox add ons. And both Safefox and Pale Moon can be used alongside your existing Firefox browser or instead of Firefox. Also both these browser are made just for Windows so they are faster and more secure for browsing. So if you have not tried Pale Moon and Safefox yet you should. I have uninstalled my Firefox browser and am now using both Pale Moon and Safefox and I don't have any plans to go back.:razz:Andrea Borman

Pale Moon and Safefox browsers are a must for Windows users looking for Firefox alternatives.
Windows 7 is the best choice for buying a computer,whether it is your first computer,laptop,netbook or a new one. First of all Windows 7 is very user friendly and easy to use and you can personalize it in many ways. But the one thing you will want to do is find a good web browser. By default Windows 7 comes with Internet Explorer 8 or 9 for newer computers. But IE is very slow and crashes a lot even on the best network connections and not very customizable.Firefox is a good alternative browser to the horrible IE but the latest versions of Firefox have become slow. This is because Firefox although it is made compatible for Windows it is also made to be compatible for all systems.Mac,Lynax etc. The ealirer versions of Firefox 3.53 worked fine but now Mozilla have upgraded their browser to 3.610 it is now outdated and Firefox seems to be upgraded every month or two.But there are open source versions of Firefox that are made ONLY for Windows computers and these can be used on Windows Vista,Windows XP and Windows 7 and also other versions of Windows.One is Pale Moon web browser that is a Firefox open source but all the Firefox add ons work with this browser and it IS actually faster than Firefox but it can only be used on a Windows computer.As Pale Moon is made only for Windows but it is updated nearly as much as Firefox is. The latest version is Pale Moon 3.69.Pale Moon does not come in a beta version and I don't mind Mozilla Firefox but I dislike both Firefox and Flock beta because they are both bland and clones of Google Chrome browser. And as I already have both Chromium and Google Chrome Canary which is the open source shell of Chromium,I do not need Firefox beta. Chromium is a very fast browser as is Google chrome but some sites work better in Mozilla Firefox or Flock,so I still need these type of browsers.And I find that Pale Moon does work faster and better than Firefox which some times crashes.And in the future Mozilla may decide to discontinue both Mozilla Flock and Firefox and replace these with the beta versions. Which means I and other people who do not want beta will have to look for alternatives. But Pale Moon is the perfect alternative and also another browser that is not well known is Safefox,another Firefox open source.This takes on an earlier version of Firefox 3.52 but it is fully supported on all web sites. The only problem I had was finding a download link as the Safefox website re directs you to the Firefox website. But I got my Safefox browser from the C Net website that has a direct download link and may I add that that site has many web browsers listed for Windows users with direct and safe downloads from their site. I use C Net all the time to get new software for my laptop. Safefox has a password safe bank,so that when you log into your email or website,you can tap your password in on a keypad in the browser instead of the web page. So very useful if you are using a shared computer but you do not have to use this facility but it is there if you want it. Safefox like Pale Moon works with all of the Firefox add ons. And both Safefox and Pale Moon can be used alongside your existing Firefox browser or instead of Firefox. Also both these browser are made just for Windows so they are faster and more secure for browsing. So if you have not tried Pale Moon and Safefox yet you should. I have uninstalled my Firefox browser and am now using both Pale Moon and Safefox and I don't have any plans to go back.:razz:Andrea Borman

Pale Moon and Safefox browsers are a must for Windows users looking for Firefox alternatives.
I have been using both PALE MOON and SAFEFOX browsers for two months now and these are a perfect choice for any Windows user as these are actually more secure for browsing than Firefox and I have had no browser crashes yet with these 2 browsers.

Andrea Borman:
Thanks for sharing your experience with your two preferred browser options, very interesting. You may receive a lot of comments regarding these particular choices, mostly based on other's preferred browsers. It seems choosing a browser is often an unusually personal choice and fans of a particular browser are often quite zealous in their defense and support of theirs. As it would seem are you. Still, in all, thank you very much.

I was browsing the Pale Moon project website and I was interested to read that Pale Moon browser is only 1 year old. I find it hard to believe that this wonderful browser was made only a year ago. But a lot of people including myself are using Pale Moon instead of Firefox. As Pale Moon is made only for Windows, it is a good choice and I have not had any problems with this browser. Another Windows only Firefox open source browser is Safefox,that was made before Pale Moon. But it is still supported on the web and Safefox browser is also made only for Windows. And is based on Firefox 3.5.2 and if you do not have Safefox installed on your computer,you should install it. As like Pale Moon,Safefox is a very fast and secure browser. Safefox can be downloaded here http://download.cnet.com/SafeFox/3000-2356_4-10964273.html

Last edited:
Pale Moon and Safefox made only for Windows.
I was browsing the Pale Moon project website and I was interested to read that Pale Moon browser is only 1 year old. I find it hard to believe that this wonderful browser was made only a year ago. But a lot of people including myself are using Pale Moon instead of Firefox. As Pale Moon is made only for Windows, it is a good choice and I have not had any problems with this browser. Another Windows only Firefox open source browser is Safefox,that was made before Pale Moon. But it is still supported on the web and Safefox browser is also made only for Windows. And is based on Firefox 3.5.2 and if you do not have Safefox installed on your computer,you should install it. As like Pale Moon,Safefox is a very fast and secure browser.

And of those 2 other unknown browsers- Comet Bird,Orca browser?
There are a couple of other not so well known browsers that use the Mozilla code of Firefox- Comet Bird and Orca browser. My advice is if you have not tried these 2 browsers yet don't bother.

Last edited:
Firefox 3 was discontinued a few days ago and replaced with Firefox 4. But now Pale Moon 4 is here,but unlike Firefox, Pale Moon 3 has not been discontinued. So you have the choice of either Pale Moon 3.6,15,which is a clone of Firefox 3.6.15 but better than Firefox or Pale Moon 4. There is also Minefield web browser which is yet another open source version of Firefox,based on Firefox 4 and has nightly builds.

But for those who prefer Firefox 3,there are many Firefox clones available such as Safefox,Wyzo, Mozilla Flock 2.6.1,Pale Moon 3.6.15, and Comet Bird 3.6.15 all of which do seem to be faster than Firefox on Windows.

There are also Firefox 3 alternatives for Linux such as Swiftfox but on Linux, Firefox seems to work better,than the alternatives do. I don't know why Firefox stopped making Firefox 3 but maybe it is because there are so many Firefox 3 alternatives now,like Wyzo,Safefox and others.

I myself prefer Firefox 3 or an alternative of it,such as Safefox but Pale Moon 4 does seem to work better than the new Firefox 4 and the toolbar in Pale Moon is nicer than Firefox 4s.

And of course,most web browsers are better than Internet Explorer. With an exception of Opera,which is actually worse than IE. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Oh yes,Minefield is the same as what Chromium is to Google Chrome. For example there are nightly builds of Chromium,updated nightly. And they too are beta versions or tester builds of future build of Google Chrome. But you can install and use them as your web browser. I use Chromium not Google Chrome, as I think it is better. And I just go to the download site and choose a version and install it. But I only update Chromium about once every two months.

And it is the same with Minefield. You just go to the website and choose one of their nightly builds and download it.

And as well as that,you have got the other Firefox clones,Wyzo,Safefox,Pale Moon,Comet Bird and Mozilla Flock. Which do seem to be faster than Firefox on Windows. So it is worth trying those as well.

Thank you for showing an interest in the thread. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom